[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] DATs for backup, Amiga for DAT signal processing -- What's been done?

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (01/14/91)

I have a Panasonic 3700 DAT purchased primarily for use as a way of
digitally mastering music.  It would be *really nifty* if I could also use
it to backup my B2000.  It has consumer type coax as well as AES/EBU
(balanced) digital in/out.  There is no SCSI interface that I know of.
(Corrections welcome!)  One can also control the tape transport externally
via relays.  Has anyone out there attempted to use an off the shelf DAT
deck (not just a SCSI drive mechanism) for backups?  Even if it is for a
different model DAT, I'm interested in what has been done and what is being
attempted.  With the mega-$$s Sony is using to push 4mm DAT format into the
mainstream, the market for this type of interface could become quite large.

I'm also *very* interested in being able to move DAT data to/from the Amiga
for processing.  (Adding preverb, absolutely clean chorusing, editing,
filtering, remastering, etc.)  Non-real-time processing is acceptable.
Thanks to Synthia Pro, I have a method of moving digital sound data between
my EPS sampler and my Amiga, but I am left without a digital link between
my DAT and my Amiga.  (HINT: A SCSI Amiga-EPS interface would be even
better than the current MIDI interface.  :-)

NOTE: I'm *not* interested in ways of defeating DAT copy protection of
commercial recordings, just manipulation of my own data.

For the Amiga-DAT digital link, an off the shelf hardware/software package
would be ideal, but I'm not opposed to building my own from schematics.

If there is interest, I'll post a summary.

	Thanks in advance,
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com

trantow@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jerry J Trantow) (01/17/91)

In article <CHUCK.PHILLIPS.91Jan14132851@halley.FtCollins.NCR.COM> Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) writes:
>I have a Panasonic 3700 DAT purchased primarily for use as a way of
>digitally mastering music.  It would be *really nifty* if I could also use
>
>I'm also *very* interested in being able to move DAT data to/from the Amiga
>for processing.  (Adding preverb, absolutely clean chorusing, editing,

>Chuck Phillips  MS440
>NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com
>2001 Danfield Ct.
>Ft. Collins, CO.  80525   		...uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-mpd!bach!chuckp

You might want to call DigiDesign at (415) 327-8811 and ask about their
Sound Tools system.  It is available for the Mac and they have some Atari
products.  The two items that you would be interested in are the
Sound Accelerator - DSP card (56001 based)
and the DAT I/O Bi-Directional Digital Interface
I'm not sure if they have Amiga versions, but this sounds like what you want.
Jerry J. Trantow          | Do you cry that you find no answers?
1560 A. East Irving Place | By what means did you hope to find them?
Milwaukee, Wi 53202-1460  | You reject your tool of perception - your mind -
(414) 289-0503            | then complain that the universe is a mystery.
You discard your key, then wail that all the doors are locked against you.
You start out in pursuit of the irrational,
then damn existence for making no sense.    Ayn Rand