[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCRAM or not?

milamber@engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (01/17/91)

  I recently ordered some RAM chips for my 3000, and I asked for static
column chips for burst mode.. When the chips came, I noticed that the
first 8, which were DIPs (cheaper), had the same part number as the
chips already in the fast ram sockets.  Not surprisingly, the system's
performance didn't change any.. Since there's no point to using SCRAMs
in chip memory, I had assumed the machine would be shipped with all
page-mode ram.  Soooooo... Are these chips I got really SCRAM?  Is the
3000 shipped with SCRAM in both its fast- and chip-sockets?  The part
number on the DIPs is D424258C-8 (NEC), in case any of you know..

--

How does a programmer count from 1 to 3?  0, 1, 2..
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+

In article <1991Jan16.191854.24277@engin.umich.edu> milamber@engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) writes:

>Since there's no point to using SCRAMs in chip memory, I had assumed the
>machine would be shipped with all page-mode ram.  Soooooo... Are these chips
>I got really SCRAM?  Is the 3000 shipped with SCRAM in both its fast- and
>chip-sockets?  The part number on the DIPs is D424258C-8 (NEC), in case any
>of you know..

'258s are SCRAMs.  There's no point in particularly using SCRAMs on the Chip
bus, but they make just as much sense as Fast Page DRAM there.  Since there's
no cost difference, either, they probably try to use only the one part, the
80ns SCRAM, on the A3000s in production, unless they get into supply problems
or something, in which case the Chip bus can use slower memory, page or static
column.

>|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley