[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Nothing, really...

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/04/91)

In article <17075@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <3528@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> zik@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Michael Saleeba) writes:
>>    "Why is it that the people who like fast computers also like fast cars?"
>
>And coffee.  Speed is addictive, in its many forms...
>--

Coffee???  Never touch the stuff! It should be Coke! (And I mean CocaCola)

Tommy Petersson

vinsci@funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.130324.7330@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
   In article <17075@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
   >In article <3528@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> zik@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Michael Saleeba) writes:
   >>    "Why is it that the people who like fast computers also like fast cars?"
   >
   >And coffee.  Speed is addictive, in its many forms...
   >--

   Coffee???  Never touch the stuff! It should be Coke! (And I mean CocaCola)

Well, you could just as well eat sugar directly (guess what the brain
uses as its source of energy! :). The cola has lots of sugar in it,
and I figured I lowered my own sugar consumtion a lot just by eating
the sugar directly instead (you can't stand to eat more than 5 pieces
(or whatever the small sugar cubes are called in english) an hour,
which is *13* *less* than there is in one cola. So how many colas do
you drink per hour?

   Tommy Petersson

You need not advice me of the consequences to eating sugar, I know, I
know. My point is that cola is worse.

-- Leonard

king@motcid.UUCP (Steven King) (01/08/91)

In article <1991Jan4.130324.7330@ericsson.se> etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se writes:
>In article <17075@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>In article <3528@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU> zik@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Michael Saleeba) writes:
>>>    "Why is it that the people who like fast computers also like fast cars?"
>>
>>And coffee.  Speed is addictive, in its many forms...
>
>Coffee???  Never touch the stuff! It should be Coke! (And I mean CocaCola)

Coka-Cola?  Kid's stuff.  Dunno if it's over in Europe yet, but here in the
States we've got this stuff called Jolt Cola.  A full dose of sugar PLUS
twice the caffeine of your average cola.  Mmmm-mmmm good!  A sixpack of
Jolt will keep you up and coding well into the night.  :-)

--
---------------------------------------------------+---------------------------
I think I am!  I think I am!                       |        Steven King
                                                   |     Motorola Cellular
            (The Little Engine That Philosophized) |   ...uunet!motcid!king

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (01/11/91)

>>>And coffee.  Speed is addictive, in its many forms...

>>Coffee???  Never touch the stuff! It should be Coke! (And I mean CocaCola)

>Coka-Cola?  Kid's stuff.  Dunno if it's over in Europe yet, but here in the

>States we've got this stuff called Jolt Cola.  A full dose of sugar PLUS

>twice the caffeine of your average cola.  Mmmm-mmmm good!  A sixpack of

>Jolt will keep you up and coding well into the night.  :-)

  Jolt is kids' stuff too :-)  Real men take Vivarin.  Each little capsul

has 200 milligrams of caffeine.  About the same as two cups of coffee,

but when taking 2 capsuls I'd swear it's a lot more than 4 cups!  This

brings up another question: how much caffeine is in Coke or Pepsi?

Milligram-wise or coffee equivilent-wise, whichever way you might know.

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/11/91)

In article <6836@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>  Jolt is kids' stuff too :-)  Real men take Vivarin.
Yeesh.  I swore off that stuff when I was an undergrad senior...

>  Each little capsule
>has 200 milligrams of caffeine.  About the same as two cups of coffee,
>but when taking 2 capsuls I'd swear it's a lot more than 4 cups!  This
>brings up another question: how much caffeine is in Coke or Pepsi?
>Milligram-wise or coffee equivilent-wise, whichever way you might know.

I've heard that 2 12oz Cokes == 1 cup coffee.

Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
dave@cs.arizona.edu	| C statements, all different.

In article <641@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>In article <6836@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>>  Jolt is kids' stuff too :-)  Real men take Vivarin.
>Yeesh.  I swore off that stuff when I was an undergrad senior...

We've been waiting for Diet Jolt.  We figure it would have Cyclamate in it.

>>  Each little capsule
>>has 200 milligrams of caffeine.  About the same as two cups of coffee,
>>but when taking 2 capsuls I'd swear it's a lot more than 4 cups!  This
>>brings up another question: how much caffeine is in Coke or Pepsi?
>>Milligram-wise or coffee equivilent-wise, whichever way you might know.

>I've heard that 2 12oz Cokes == 1 cup coffee.

Back in the foggy reaches of my brain, I used to know the caffine numbers.  As
I recall, a cup of coffee maxes out at about 160mg of caffine, depending on
who made it.  Soda (Pop, Tonic, etc) has some legal limit (since in all cases
the caffine is added, not subtracted, to make up for the fact that Coca extract
is no longer legal), maybe around 80mg.  Teas vary greatly, but never get over
120mg or so.  Again, that's from memory, and could even be out of date; I
don't know the latest in caffine technology.  I do recall that, in college,
Vivarin were preferable to NoDoze -- NoDoze claimed to be the equivalent of a
cup of coffee, at 150mg, while Vivarin was 200mg, and often cheaper (not being
such a name brand).

>Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little

	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

duncan@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (01/13/91)

From article <17430@cbmvax.commodore.com>, by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
> In article <641@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>>In article <6836@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>>>  Jolt is kids' stuff too :-)  Real men take Vivarin.
>>Yeesh.  I swore off that stuff when I was an undergrad senior...
>
> We've been waiting for Diet Jolt.  We figure it would have Cyclamate in it.
>
>>>  Each little capsule
>>>has 200 milligrams of caffeine.  About the same as two cups of coffee,
>>>but when taking 2 capsuls I'd swear it's a lot more than 4 cups!  This
>>>brings up another question: how much caffeine is in Coke or Pepsi?
>>>Milligram-wise or coffee equivilent-wise, whichever way you might know.
>
>>I've heard that 2 12oz Cokes == 1 cup coffee.
>
> Back in the foggy reaches of my brain, I used to know the caffine numbers.  As
> I recall, a cup of coffee maxes out at about 160mg of caffine, depending on
> who made it.  Soda (Pop, Tonic, etc) has some legal limit (since in all cases
> the caffine is added, not subtracted, to make up for the fact that Coca extract
> is no longer legal), maybe around 80mg.  Teas vary greatly, but never get over
> 120mg or so.  Again, that's from memory, and could even be out of date; I
> don't know the latest in caffine technology.  I do recall that, in college,
> Vivarin were preferable to NoDoze -- NoDoze claimed to be the equivalent of a
> cup of coffee, at 150mg, while Vivarin was 200mg, and often cheaper (not being
> such a name brand).
>
>>Dave Schaumann		| You are in a twisty maze of little
>

> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
> 	"Don't worry, 'bout a thing. 'Cause every little thing,
> 	 gonna be alright"		-Bob Marley

This is from an article by Ted Bahr in Computer Language April
1989  pp. 123--125.

     Classic     Coca-Cola   Diet Coke   Mouantain   Jolt    Pepsi   Dr. Pepper
     Coca-cola                             Dew

Cal.   144         154          0          129       170     159       144

Sugar   37.2       40           .3         44.4       NA     39.6       38
(grams)

Caffeine 46.0      46.0        46.0        54.0      71.2    38.4      40.8
(mg)

all are per 12 fl. oz.

His recommendation for Unix programs is any Coke product.  Pepsi lacked the
punch, as did Dr. Pepper.  Mouantain Dew while having the next highest punch
then Jolt was too sweet.  Jolt although the clear winner in performance was
too "jarring" fro prolonged use but excellent for short bursts or quick
 patches.

-Shan Duncan
Department. of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin--Milwaukee
Milwaukee,  WI.  53201

root@guru.pub.uu.oz.au (Gh0d) (01/15/91)

  LOTS of stuff deleted. Ok this is getting rather off topic, but I feel
that I have to post this to enlightent the masses.....

Source : Earl Mindell's New and Revised Vitamin Bible.

Beverge                     Caffine in 12-ounce can or bottle
Coca-Cola                    64.7 mg.
Dr. Pepper                   60.9 mg.
Mr. Pibb                     58.8 mg.
Mellow Yellow                52.8 mg.
Mountain Dew                 54.7 mg.
Diet Dr. Pepper              54.2 mg.
Tab                          49.4 mg.
Pepsi-Cola                   43.1 mg.
Diet Pepsi/Pepsi Lite        36.0 mg.
R.C. Cola                    33.7 mg.
Diet R.C.                    33.0 mg.
Diet-Rite                    31.7 mg.

Beverge                     Caffine per serving
Coffee
  Instant                    66.0 mg.
  Percolated                110.0 mg.
  Dripolated                146.0 mg.

Tea Bags
  Black 5-minute brew        46.0 mg.
  Black 1-minute brew        28.0 mg.

Loose Tea
  Black 6-minute brew        40.0 mg.
  Green 5-minute brew        35.0 mg.

Cocoa                        13.0 mg.

Drug                         Caffine per pill
Anacin                        32.0 mg.
Bio Slim T capsules          140.0 mg.
Cafergot                     100.0 mg.
Dexatrim                     200.0 mg.
Empirin                       32.0 mg.
Emprazil                      30.0 mg.
Excedrin                      65.0 mg.
  (Excedrin PM has no caffine but
   does have an antihistamine.)
Florinal                     130.0 mg.
Midol                         32.4 mg.
No Doz                       100.0 mg.
Soma Compound                 32.0 mg.
Triaminicin                   30.0 mg.
Vanquish                      33.0 mg.
Vivarin                      200.0 mg.

  I duno about you people but cocoa is the yummiest and safest!!
| George Seremetidis (Lips) root@guru.pub.uu.oz.au                             |
| Sysop of The Guru Meditation BBS         3753438                             |

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (01/18/91)

In article <17430@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <641@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
>>In article <6836@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>>>  Jolt is kids' stuff too :-)  Real men take Vivarin.
>>Yeesh.  I swore off that stuff when I was an undergrad senior...
>
>We've been waiting for Diet Jolt.  We figure it would have Cyclamate in it.

I saw "Jolt 40" or similar name about half a year ago.  The 40 means calories
or such, but still had all the caffeine as a recall.  Haven't seen it since,
so may have been a market feeler.
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu