[net.space] Speed of Light and beyond

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA (05/13/85)

From: Ron Tencati <TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA>

I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...

A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
"light barrier", what phenomenon would result?

Ron Tencati
JPL-VLSI
------

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (05/15/85)

In article <1776@mordor.UUCP> @S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:

>I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
>sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
>"light barrier", what phenomenon would result?

As the ship approaches the speed of light its mass approaches infinity.
So as it crosses the speed of light I would expect an infinitely strong
(if momentary) gravity wave across all of space ... and don't expect it
to attenuate by the time it gets here, since the cube root of infinity is
going to be pretty big :-) .  Perhaps the Tralfamadorians in _Slaughterhouse
Five_ did exactly this when they ended the universe -- I seem to remember
that it was caused by experiments with a new rocket propulsion system.

I'd recommend that you find a way to skip directly from our tardyon universe
into the tachyon universe without going across the speed of light.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{decvax, vortex}!randvax!jim

darrelj@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Darrel VanBuer) (05/16/85)

Cherenkov radiation results (i.e. light) when anything goes faster than the
speed of light in a medium.  Of course this only happens when the medium is
"slower" than a vacuum (e.g. water at 75% of c) since the particle still
limited by c.
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.
2500 Colorado Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90406
(213)820-4111 x5449
...{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,orstcs,sdcsvax,ucla-cs,akgua}
                                                            !sdcrdcf!darrelj
VANBUER@USC-ECL.ARPA
--
Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD
System Development Corp.
2500 Colorado Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90406
(213)820-4111 x5449
...{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,orstcs,sdcsvax,ucla-cs,akgua}
                                                            !sdcrdcf!darrelj
VANBUER@USC-ECL.ARPA

> I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>
> A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
> sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
> "light barrier", what phenomenon would result?

A lot of heart attacks in the physics community, for one. :-)

More seriously, as I recall it, the basic answer to this from relativity
(if we ignore tachyons, which are a messy case) is "does not compute".
Faster-than-light speeds involve logical contradictions (notably, loss of
the normal cause-and-effect relationship) according to special relativity.
This being the case, the theory basically cannot give coherent predictions
about such a situation.

I'd be very interested to hear this contradicted by somebody who knows
more about the subject...
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

gv@hou2e.UUCP (A.VANNUCCI) (05/17/85)

> I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>
> A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
> sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
> "light barrier", what phenomenon would result?
>
> Ron Tencati
> JPL-VLSI

  It *is* possible. A particle can move through a medium faster than
the speed of light in that medium. It emits Cherenkov radiation, which
is the electromagnetic wave analog of a sonic boom.

  This phenomenon is commonly used by particle physicist to detect the
presence of particles.

		Giovanni Vannucci
		AT&T Bell Laboratories      HOH R-207
		Holmdel, NJ 07733
		hou2e!gv

ran@ho95b.UUCP (RANeinast) (05/17/85)

>> I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>>
>> A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
>> sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
>> "light barrier", what phenomenon would result?
>
>A lot of heart attacks in the physics community, for one. :-)

>More seriously, as I recall it, the basic answer to this from relativity
>(if we ignore tachyons, which are a messy case) is "does not compute".
>Faster-than-light speeds involve logical contradictions (notably, loss of
>the normal cause-and-effect relationship) according to special relativity.
>This being the case, the theory basically cannot give coherent predictions
>about such a situation.
>
>I'd be very interested to hear this contradicted by somebody who knows
>more about the subject...

It's known as Cerenkov radiation.  It turns out that the speed of light
depends upon the medium through which it travels (the speed in vacuo
is the ultimate limit), so you can have particles going very near the speed
of light in a vacuum enter water (where the speed of light is much slower)
and create a "sonic boom", except, of course, it is light that is emitted.
This slows the particle rather quickly.

Regarding tachyons, the idea first came up about 15 years ago when it
was noticed that the relativity equations had no problems with faster-
than-light if an object ALWAYS went faster then light, so tachyons
were proposed.  Despite possible mechanisms for how a tachyon might
be observed, there is at present NO experimental evidence for their
existence.  Quantum field theory also has a few problems if tachyons
exist, since the mass (imaginary for tachyons) of the particle
defines an integration path in complex space for the calculation
of certain measureable quantities.  I realize the last sentence is
not real clear, but I'm afraid I can't explain it much better.

--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95b!ran)

larryk@tektronix.UUCP (Larry Kohn) (05/18/85)

In article <1776@mordor.UUCP> @S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:

>                                       If it were possible to cross the
>"light barrier", what phenomenon would result?

	An image, resembling a subliminal flash, produced when an improbability
wave formed by a spacecraft travelling at superlight speed traverses another
dimension.  Call it an Optic Flooey.

> >I'd be very interested to hear this contradicted by somebody who knows
> >more about the subject...
>
> It's known as Cerenkov radiation.  It turns out that the speed of light
> depends upon the medium through which it travels (the speed in vacuo
> is the ultimate limit), so you can have particles going very near the speed
> of light in a vacuum enter water (where the speed of light is much slower)
> and create a "sonic boom", except, of course, it is light that is emitted.
> This slows the particle rather quickly.

Sigh, I knew about Cerenkov radiation, and if I thought people would be
this picky [I know, I know, I've done it myself sometimes...] I would
have qualified all references to "speed of light" with "in a vacuum".
I thought it was reasonably clear from the original posting that the
question referred to spaceships, i.e. operations in a vacuum.  Now, if
somebody can tell me whether an FTL starship would emit Cerenkov radiation
in a vacuum, *that* would be interesting.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (05/20/85)

In article <1776@mordor.UUCP> @S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC:TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA writes:
>I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
>sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
>"light barrier", what phenomenon would result?

There is an equivalent to the "sonic boom" which occurs when the speed of a
particle entering a transparent medium (i.e. water) exceeds the group velocity
of light in that medium.  It is known as Cerenkov radiation and is in fact
used in some modes of particle detection.

Bob Langridge				(rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP)
Computer Graphics Laboratory
926 Medical Sciences			(rl@ucsfcgl.ARPA)
University of California
San Francisco
CA  94143				(Phone: +1 415 666 2630)

throopw@rtp47.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (05/20/85)

In <1982@sdcrdcf.UUCP> Darrel VanBuer says
> Cherenkov radiation results (i.e. light) when anything goes faster than the
> speed of light in a medium.  Of course this only happens when the medium is
> "slower" than a vacuum (e.g. water at 75% of c) since the particle still
> limited by c.
> Darrel J. Van Buer, PhD

I was under the impression that the "anything" had to be charged, IE, an
FTL neutron would not produce Cherenkov radiation.  If I'm wrong, can
someone more up on particle physics mail me a contradiction?

In <5608@utzoo.UUCP> Henry Spencer says
> Sigh, I knew about Cerenkov radiation, and if I thought people would be
> this picky [I know, I know, I've done it myself sometimes...] I would
> have qualified all references to "speed of light" with "in a vacuum".
> I thought it was reasonably clear from the original posting that the
> question referred to spaceships, i.e. operations in a vacuum.  Now, if
> somebody can tell me whether an FTL starship would emit Cerenkov radiation
> in a vacuum, *that* would be interesting.
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

Now *there's* a more difficult question.  Since a spaceship presumably
contains some charged particles, if it went FTL (thru water for example)
I expect it *would* emit Cherenkov radiation.  This probably would be
pretty hard to detect amidst the vaporization of the spaceship. :-)

On the other hand, just how is the ship supposed to acheive FTL status
(in a vacuum)?  If it is "hyperspace" or "wormholes" or whatnot, I'd
expect no FTL shockwave, since these ideas generally have to do with
remaining STL with respect to some "higher space" and sidestepping the
issue.

If it uses the "correspondence tachyon" method (where every particle of
the spaceship is replaced by a corresponding tachyon), I expect it
*would* emit Cherenkov radiation, assuming that tachyons have charge.
Isn't one of the methods used to search for tachyons to look for the
Cherenkov radiation?  Interestingly enough, assuming that a tachyon
emits Cherenkov radiation, it would naturally decay to lower energy
(that is, higher speed) states, accelerating to "infinite" speed.  A
convenient way to get your spaceship to hurry up.

In any event, I'm performing the "public service" of adding net.physics
to the newsgroups of this line of discussion.  It seems more relevant to
particle physics than orbital mechanics or near term space engineering.
--
Wayne Throop at Data General, RTP, NC
<the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!rtp47!throopw

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (05/20/85)

/* libation to line-eater */

In article <5602@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>>
>> A ship could exceed the speed of light?
>
>More seriously, as I recall it, the basic answer to this from relativity
>(if we ignore tachyons, which are a messy case) is "does not compute".
>Faster-than-light speeds involve logical contradictions (notably, loss of
>the normal cause-and-effect relationship) according to special relativity.
>This being the case, the theory basically cannot give coherent predictions
>about such a situation.
>
>I'd be very interested to hear this contradicted by somebody who knows
>more about the subject...

I won't claim to know more about it, but that never kept me from
contradicting anybody :-)

The mathematics of special relativity does not strictly prohibit FTL speeds.
That mathematics says, in essence, that objects in the universe can be
divided into five classes:  (1) Things moving forward in time, slower than
light; (2) things moving forward in time, exactly at the speed of light;
(3) things moving faster than light (including infinitely fast, and also
including both forward and backward in time); (4) things moving backward
in time, at the speed of light; and (5) things moving backward in time,
slower than light.

The mathematics also says that the action of performing a "Lorentz boost"
-- the kind of transformation that has all those square roots of (one minus
vee square over c square) in it -- can NEVER move an object from one class
into another.  A Lorentz boost corresponds roughly to applying a classical
force to an object for a while -- perhaps more accurately to giving it a
classical kick in the pants, so that the physical interpretation of this
mathematics is roughly "if it's slower than light now, you can't make it
go FTL with classical forces."  But there is no objection to objects which
are already FTL (though there seems to be no experimental evidence of them,
either).  And there is no statement, (I think) that such non-classical events
such as particle decays cannot produce tachyons.

Many particle physicists, incidentally, will claim the "backwards in time"
objects are quite real, namely, as antiparticles.

It is indeed true that FTL implies breakdown of causality, but it is also
true that the mathematics of the Lorentz transformation contains no
assumption that causality holds in the first place.  This is an ADDITIONAL
assumption, which philosphers and physicists may put in or not, as they see
fit.  It is erroneous to state that "the Lorentz transformations prohibit
FTL because causality is then violated"; because the Lorentz transformations
do not feature causality as a postulate.

Incidentally, an object is moving "infinitely fast" when its world line is
(at least temporarily) perpendicular to the observer's time axis.

--
-- Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)

rl@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Robert Langridge%CGL) (05/23/85)

<--
A quick introduction to faster-than-light travel (by charged particles
at least), and the use of the resultant electromagnetic equivalent of the
sonic boom, is given on pages 58-60 of the June 1985 Scientific American.

Bob Langridge   rl@ucsfcgl (UUCP and ARPA)

> Isn't one of the methods used to search for tachyons to look for the
> Cherenkov radiation?

Yes, and you may notice they haven't found any.

rdp@teddy.UUCP (07/16/85)

In article <5602@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>> I know this is impossible, but what would happen if...
>>
>> A ship could exceed the speed of light?  When the space shuttle crosses the
>> sound barrier, there is a sonic boom.  If it were possible to cross the
>> "light barrier", what phenomenon would result?
>
>A lot of heart attacks in the physics community, for one. :-)
>
>More seriously, as I recall it, the basic answer to this from relativity
>(if we ignore tachyons, which are a messy case) is "does not compute".
>Faster-than-light speeds involve logical contradictions (notably, loss of
>the normal cause-and-effect relationship) according to special relativity.
>This being the case, the theory basically cannot give coherent predictions
>about such a situation.
>
>I'd be very interested to hear this contradicted by somebody who knows
>more about the subject...
>--

In fact, under the right conditions, one can achieve "faster than light"
travel. While on cannot exceed a certain velocity "c" (2.99 x 10^8 m/s),
the velocity of propogation of light through matter is somewhat less than
this inviolable "c". For example, (if my memory serves me) light travels
about 30% slower in water than it does in a vacuum. Under this circumstance,
something which travels faster than that (but still MUST be less than "c")
will, in fact, produce the light equivalent of a sonic boom, known as
Cerenkov radiation. This is a shock wave which travels outward in a cone
(whose included angle is proportional to the ratio of the speed of light
in the media to the speed of the particle).

Note that no violation of any physical law occurs. Nothing can travel
faster than the sacred "Speed of Light" , which is the speed of light
absent of any influences (matter).