[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2232 Multi Port Serial Board

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (01/11/91)

I am considering getting an A2232 for my A3000.  However, I have a number
of questions I'd like answered first:

1)  All the literature I've seen says it supports up to 19.2k per port.
    I'm really looking at 38.4k usage, however.  If I'm not using all
    the ports will I be ok?  Will the simple fact that I have an A3000
    provide the extra horsepower to drive 38.4k reasonable well?

2)  Some time ago on the net, people were doing the bitch and moan about
    how the serial.device C= supplied for the board would not drop DTR
    when one closed a port.  It is IMPERITIVE that this work correctly.
    If it doesn't do the DTR drop, the board is useless to me.  Was this
    just a problem with a beta version of the device driver?

3)  Does it support a 2.0 style preferences selector now?

4)  A blurb in an old .info said that the board used 8 pin mini-dins for
    the connectors, and that it included cables.  Well, how many cables
    does it include?  Also, considering that after a DB25 connector, the
    9 bin connectors are the next most popular (and all pins are used),
    which signal did they drop when they went to 8 pin?  I've got a high
    speed modem that needs the extra CTS/RTS lines.  I'm no hardware
    jock, but the only signal it looks like they could have wasted is the
    ground line.

Any comments from people who have used the board would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) (01/16/91)

>In article <26268@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:
>In article <caw.4675@miroc.Chi.IL.US> caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) writes:
>>I am considering getting an A2232 for my A3000.  However, I have a number
>>of questions I'd like answered first:
>In other mnemonics,  all the lines necessary for USR or Telebit
>modems.  What is that missing pin you are looking for?  Ring
>indicator?  Not necessary for running a BBS...

The only problem I can see with running a BBS using the A2232 is that the firmware
(at least in my A2232) does not drop DTR when the device is closed.  If your
software drops DTR to reset the modem (as does UUCP 1.06), you'll have problems.
Supposedly, this is a known problem, albeit with low priority, to the folks at
Commodore, and hopefully will be corrected soon.

--

bruce@zuhause.mn.org

greg@ogre.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (01/19/91)

In <bruce.7388@zuhause.MN.ORG> bruce@zuhause.MN.ORG (Bruce Albrecht) writes:

>The only problem I can see with running a BBS using the A2232 is that the firmware
>(at least in my A2232) does not drop DTR when the device is closed.  If your
>software drops DTR to reset the modem (as does UUCP 1.06), you'll have problems.
>Supposedly, this is a known problem, albeit with low priority, to the folks at
>Commodore, and hopefully will be corrected soon.

If this is true is shouldn't be a "low priority."  How else is software
supposed to be able to reliably drop a connection/hang up the phone/reset
the modem?  If someone sends/posts some arcane stream of Hayes commands
that do it I swear I'll just scream.

I have never, ever, in 15 years of working with serial devices ever run
across one that didn't drop DTR when the device was closed.  At least
a serial card that purported to have modem control.  If true, this is
a MAJOR bug with the card.

I was just about to plop down $400 for one of these...Guess I better see
if my dealer can get a loaner to try out first.

--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.cica.indiana.edu       Center for Innovative Computer Applications