[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Okay, you Amiga Types, its time to bash your amiga. :)

In article <1991Jan19.083235.18518@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>In article <17615@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>>Actually, there is a bug in the memory controller that we know about.

>     I realize this question may be somewhat premature, but will Commodore
>offer some sort of trade-in/upgrade program for those of us that own 3000's
>with this hardware bug?

All RAMSEY chips have this problem.  We may at some point revise the RAMSEY
chip, and at that point would certainly fix the bug.  That's no system problem,
since the RAMSEY chips have a version register which allows software to tell
the difference between physical parts.  But since that particular mode has not
been proven effective by the benchmarks run by our AmigaOS software folks, the
lack of that feature alone isn't reason to fix the chip, since they weren't
planning to use it anyway.  RAMSEY is socketed, so should a new part become
available, it would drop right in with little effort for what its worth.
Developers can usually get upgrades of all kinds through the technical support
programs.  General upgrades are up to local sales policy, they are not an
engineering question.

>George L. Skank

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett