[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Time to talk about the Colorburst peripheral from M.A.S.T.?

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (01/10/91)

About 3 weeks ago, I decided (after a long search) that I've found the
ideal SCSI controller for my A500. It's called the Wordmaster (from
M.A.S.T.) and boasts 900K/Sec (supposedly) 16 bit transfer rates,
up to 4MB of expansion RAM (perhaps more, actually, I don't have the
sheet in front of me) and the further possibility to add a 68030
daughter card for $400. Given that the base unit costs $299 (with
2MB of expansion RAM) + $89 for the 16 bit SCSI (8 bit will cost
you only $39), this is a pretty good deal no matter how you look
at it. For around $800, you could be looking at a 2MB A500 + high
speed SCSI controller + 68030. Some 32 bit memory would also be
in order for the '030, which would set you back another $200, but
that's still not bad at all. If the xfer rates really are >900K/Sec
as they claim, this will be a screamer (mine's on order). But enough
about the Wordmaster - what I want to talk about is the Colorburst
peripheral! (mine's also on order!)

It seems that for $495, M.A.S.T. will provide you with a true 24 bit
color FB + graphics co-processor that hooks to the RBG output port
(thus why I've been calling it a peripheral and not a "card").
Resolution is better than the toaster (512 x 768 I believe, again
don't quote me as I don't have specs in front of me, M.A.S.T. will
fax them to you if you ask nicely) and graphics are reportedly much
faster. I don't know what sort of graphics processor they're using as
the lady I talked to didn't know, but they claim up to 60 FPS animation
can be attained with it, though the exact constrains for doing
something like this aren't clear. If even 30fps was possible, I'd be
happy. A number of other real-time effects (wipes, fades, pans) are
also supposedly possible and the device is genlock compatible.

If this is all true, then M.A.S.T has at the most a Toaster-Killer and
at the least a very very popular product here. Unlike the Toaster, it
doesn't come with a super-slick 3D modeling package (which may still
buy the Toaster staunch adherents in the broadcast market), but at these
prices, that's got to be forthcoming from a 3rd party supplier at some point.

Has anyone else been following this topic? Did anyone see it in Cologne?
(Now I feel like a _real_ putz for not going!). It's supposedly been
knocking socks off in demos, but I haven't been to any of the major
shows.

Eager for more first-hand information (espcially since I went and
ordered one sight-unseen).

						Jordan
--
			PCS Computer Systeme GmbH, Munich, West Germany
	UUCP:		pyramid!pcsbst!jkh jkh@meepmeep.pcs.com

cdimick@javelin.es.com (Clint Dimick) (01/11/91)

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) writes:

>It seems that for $495, M.A.S.T. will provide you with a true 24 bit
>color FB + graphics co-processor that hooks to the RBG output port
>(thus why I've been calling it a peripheral and not a "card").
>Resolution is better than the toaster (512 x 768 I believe, again
>don't quote me as I don't have specs in front of me, M.A.S.T. will
>fax them to you if you ask nicely) and graphics are reportedly much
>faster. I don't know what sort of graphics processor they're using as
>the lady I talked to didn't know, but they claim up to 60 FPS animation
>can be attained with it, though the exact constrains for doing
>something like this aren't clear. If even 30fps was possible, I'd be
>happy. A number of other real-time effects (wipes, fades, pans) are
>also supposedly possible and the device is genlock compatible.

>If this is all true, then M.A.S.T has at the most a Toaster-Killer and
>at the least a very very popular product here. Unlike the Toaster, it
>doesn't come with a super-slick 3D modeling package (which may still
>buy the Toaster staunch adherents in the broadcast market), but at these
>prices, that's got to be forthcoming from a 3rd party supplier at some point.

	Although it sounds like a good product, I wouldn't call it a
"Toaster-Killer."  The Toaster's resolution is such that it can be used
for broadcasting purposes.  Any larger resolution would not be needed, as
a television couldn't display the larger boundries.  I know that you
weren't able to get the full specs on M.A.S.T.'s board, but I'd curious to
know whether or not it has dual frame-store buffers, luminance keying,
TRUE broadcast-quality output, multiple inputs, included CG software,
etc... :)

	It seems that M.A.S.T. isn't the only company trying to compete
with the Toaster.  Is it Applied Engineering that is releasing the "Video
Blender?"  Anyone have further information on this thing?

		- Clint

iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) (01/24/91)

I made the mistake of buying M.A.S.Ts twindrive floppy. The unit I recieved
was non-functional. I sent it back and recieved one that works...sort of.
As long as I don't try to use BAD or another "disk intensive" utility
to write to it I have no problems. Anything that that writes to the drive
excessivly will eventually fail or generate bad data.

After this experience I'm very wary of anything these guys have to offer.
The concept of a display device that plugs into the RGB port on a computer
seems a bit...un-flexable. What can you use with it? Does it support
Intuition, therefore Workbench. Will it work with the ECS? And after using
the toaster, I find very hard to believe that a device of this type will
provide anywhere near the performance of the toaster.

These are the same guys who advertised a 68030/scsi/8MBram expansion device
last year. Haven't seen it yet. They also advertised a de-interlacer
device called "flick-off" that never showed up on the market. For being
such a large, "international" comapny they never seem to have in stock
what they advertise.

Ian Kennedy
My views are not those of my employer.