[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] system lockup problem continues

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (01/22/91)

A few weeks ago I posted a request for help with a problem with my A500.
It was locking up occasionally when I tried to use the floppy drives.  I
got three suggestions from the net:  First, that it was a bug in
trackdisk.device.  Second, that it was a power supply problem.	Third, that
it was a bad 8520 chip.  The first suggestion didn't seem to be relevant
because I was using both SetPatch 1.3.2 and Tracksalve, both of which are
supposed to take care of that bug.  Furthermore, the problem gets much
worse when the system has been on for a while and has heated up.  Keeping a
fan running to cool the system helps a lot.  The second suggestion also
didn't seem relevant, because the fan was blowing on the system rather than
on the power supply.  The third suggestion, a damaged 8520 chip, was also
suggested to me by several people I talked to in person, including some who
have had to replace several 8520s in the past.	So I replaced both my 8520
chips.

Unfortunately, replacing the 8520 chips had absolutely no effect on the
problem.  I'm now looking for other suggestions.  Although the fan prevents
the problem almost always, the noise of it is starting to annoy me.  Also,
the fan causes the image on my monitor to waver slightly.  The waver is
accompanied by a minor color shift.  It's tolerable, but I don't know if
it's safe for the monitor. (It's a 1084S, if anyone wants to speculate.)
Worse, I doubt that the fan will be adequate in the summer.

Does anyone know what the next step should be?	To repeat the problem, my
A500 locks up totally when I try to use the floppy drives after the system
has been running for about an hour.  (When it's cool, it's fine.)  The
problem happens most often when something is using DF1: and I try to invoke
a new command from DF0:.  As soon as the DF0: motor comes on the system
locks up.  (Both drive motors stay on.)  I've also had the problem happen
rarely when accessing just one drive after a period of inactivity, but it
happens most often when I try to use both drives at once.  I've had it
happen when I'm trying to WRITE to DF0: also, and the files remain
untouched -- it definitely seems to happen as soon as the motor comes on.

--
  From the disk of:   | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "Glittering prizes and
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | endless compromises

In article <jms.2412@vanth.UUCP> jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) writes:
>It was locking up occasionally when I tried to use the floppy drives.  I
>got three suggestions from the net:  First, that it was a bug in
>trackdisk.device.  Second, that it was a power supply problem.	Third, that
>it was a bad 8520 chip.

>Unfortunately, replacing the 8520 chips had absolutely no effect on the
>problem.  I'm now looking for other suggestions.

>the fan causes the image on my monitor to waver slightly.  The waver is
>accompanied by a minor color shift.

	Sounds a lot like a hardware problem, likely a PS voltage problem.
It also could perhaps be input power problems (low voltage or spikes or
some such), though this seems less likely.  Note: I'm a software guy, not
hardware.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

abrown@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Allen Brown) (01/25/91)

> Furthermore, the problem gets much worse when the system has been on
> for a while and has heated up.  Keeping a fan running to cool the
> system helps a lot.  The second suggestion also didn't seem relevant,
> because the fan was blowing on the system rather than on the power
> supply.

That doesn't eliminate the power supply.  You have stirred up the air
all around the system.  The power supply benefits along with the rest
of the system.  And the fact that starting up the floppy triggers it
strongly suggests that the power supply is involved, since that
involves a surge of power.

> Does anyone know what the next step should be?  To repeat the problem,
> my A500 locks up totally when I try to use the floppy drives after the
> system has been running for about an hour.  (When it's cool, it's
> fine.)
> --
> Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | endless compromises

Depends on how adventurous you are.  I think that you have
demonstrated that the problem is temperature related.  So the next
step is determining what device(s) are vulnerable.  If this was a TV,
you could wait until it fails and then use a spray coolant to find
what needs to be cooled to make it work again.  That probably won't
work with a computer.  So you could use the opposite approach.  Use a
heat gun (such as a hair dryer) to heat sections of your computer.
When you heat the weak part the system should fail pretty quickly.
Now a hair dryer is very poor at directionality.  So once you have
isolated the problem to perhaps a tenth of the system you can do the
same test again with a soldering iron on individual components.

#define DISCLAIMER
The procedure described above may be capable of damaging your system.
Use at your own risk.  If you don't know what you are doing, pay a
professional to fix it.
--
  Allen Brown  abrown@cv.hp.com or abrown%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
	    or hplabs!hpcvca!abrown or "Hey you!"