[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 256K simms on an Amiga?

a429@mindlink.UUCP (Alykhan Virani) (01/04/91)

> re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <wbV=JRy00WB3MFqGUd@andrew.cmu.edu>
>
> Org.  : Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, PA
> Person: Ronald William Ely
>

>     Does anyone out there know which, if any, memory boards for the 2000
> accept 256k SIMMs.  Someone was nice enough to give me 4 megs worth of the
> little suckers, so I either have to find a board to accept them, or else make
> keychains out of th :-)
>
>    Thanks in advance

The 8-up card from Microbotics will handle 2mb of 256k simms.

Alykhan.

re0t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ronald William Ely) (01/05/91)

    Does anyone out there know which, if any, memory boards for the 2000
accept 256k SIMMs.  Someone was nice enough to give me 4 megs worth of the
little suckers, so I either have to find a board to accept them, or else make
keychains out of th :-)

   Thanks in advance

davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) (01/08/91)

The 8-up board from Microbotics will use 256k simms but only if you have the
early 'A' model board.  The later 'B' model (revision?) board accepts only dip
memory chips.  The other thing to look for is the type of simm modules that
you have.  By far, the most common are the 256x9 simm modules where there
are 8 data chips and 1 chip used for parity checking.  This is the type used
in IBMs and their thousands of clones.  This type cannot be used by the 8-up
board (or any other Amiga expansion device I believe) as the Amiga does not
use the parity checking.  The 8-up boards use 256x8 or 1mx8 simm boards like
are used in the Macs.  Microbotics also makes a small board where you can
plug in individual dip chips in then the whole board plugs into the simm
sockets on their 8-up board.

If you have the correct simm's, I don't think you could go wrong with an 8-up
board.  I've had my A model with 4-megs in the pop-simm boards for some time
and it has caused no problems of any kind (except the expense of populating
it :) ).  The other boards are probably just as good but I don't have any
experience with theem.

Hope this helps.....

a429@mindlink.UUCP (Alykhan Virani) (01/11/91)

...<Some Deleted>...
> davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <19620010@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>
>
> Org.  : HP Logic Systems Division - ColoSpgs, CO
> Person: Dave K. Martin
>
> The 8-up board from Microbotics will use 256k simms but only if you have the
> early 'A' model board.  The later 'B' model (revision?) board accepts only
> dip
> memory chips.  The other thing to look for is the type of simm modules that
> you have.  By far, the most common are the 256x9 simm modules where there
> are 8 data chips and 1 chip used for parity checking.  This is the type used
> in IBMs and their thousands of clones.  This type cannot be used by the 8-up
> board (or any other Amiga expansion device I believe) as the Amiga does not
> use the parity checking.  The 8-up boards use 256x8 or 1mx8 simm boards like
> are used in the Macs.  Microbotics also makes a small board where you can
> plug in individual dip chips in then the whole board plugs into the simm
> sockets on their 8-up board.
>

> Hope this helps.....

I have been using IBM 256K X 9 simms on my 8 Up card for about 1 1/2 years
without any problems.  I am not too sure what type of board I
have.
Alykhan.

rea@AntHill.UUCP (Robert E. Anderson) (01/12/91)

In article <19620010@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>, Dave K. Martin writes:

> The 8-up board from Microbotics will use 256k simms but only if you have the
> early 'A' model board.  The later 'B' model (revision?) board accepts only dip
> memory chips.  The other thing to look for is the type of simm modules that
> you have.  By far, the most common are the 256x9 simm modules where there
> are 8 data chips and 1 chip used for parity checking.  This is the type used
> in IBMs and their thousands of clones.  This type cannot be used by the 8-up
> board (or any other Amiga expansion device I believe) as the Amiga does not

***** THIS IS NOT TRUE *****
9 bit (parity SIMMs) will work perfectly with any SIMM board I have ever seen.
I have owned the Microbotics 8UP! and I am currently using the GVP II+RAM board
with 9 bit SIMMs.  The SIMMS are the same size, 8 bit ones have one chip missing
(usually), but the pin cound is the same, they are the same size, and look no
different other that having a few more active pins and an extra chip were the
holes are on the 8 bit SIMMs.

> use the parity checking.  The 8-up boards use 256x8 or 1mx8 simm boards like
> are used in the Macs.  Microbotics also makes a small board where you can
> plug in individual dip chips in then the whole board plugs into the simm
> sockets on their 8-up board.
>
> If you have the correct simm's, I don't think you could go wrong with an 8-up
> board.  I've had my A model with 4-megs in the pop-simm boards for some time
> and it has caused no problems of any kind (except the expense of populating
> it :) ).  The other boards are probably just as good but I don't have any
> experience with theem.
>

> Hope this helps.....

Robert E. Anderson                    From the Ant Hill
Research Computing Center             unhd.unh.edu!AntHill!rea
Durham NH 03824                       Amiga 2000 UUCP / Dillon
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine." - Pink Ployd

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (01/26/91)

In article <19620010@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>, davem@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave K. Martin) writes:
> The 8-up board from Microbotics will use 256k simms but only if you have the
> early 'A' model board.  The later 'B' model (revision?) board accepts only dip
> memory chips.  The other thing to look for is the type of simm modules that
> you have.  By far, the most common are the 256x9 simm modules where there
> are 8 data chips and 1 chip used for parity checking.  This is the type used
> in IBMs and their thousands of clones.  This type cannot be used by the 8-up
> board (or any other Amiga expansion device I believe) as the Amiga does not
> use the parity checking.  The 8-up boards use 256x8 or 1mx8 simm boards like

Xetec Ram boards will take either the 8 or 9 chip SIMM's, in 256k and 1M
format.

john