[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Internal Drive Button

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (01/24/91)

Does anyone know how I can get a new internal drive button? Mine has broken
on one end and keeps falling out. I have asked one of my local dealers who
said 'They don't make that part. You'll have to buy a whole new drive.' This
dealer is made up of fools anyway... My other local dealer is worse. I'd like
to be able to order the part (and not pay through the nose for it) and install
it myself if possible. Thank you in advance...

	Tabor Wells
	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

|------------------------------------| "Life. You're born. You live. You  |
|	Tabor Wells		     |   go on some diets. You die.       |
|	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu	     |	        			  |
|------------------------------------|		-Bloom County		  |			  |

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (01/25/91)

I have a similar problem excpet that mine is for my external drive, the button
broke off and now I use a ink pin to eject disks... could someone give me the
address of "Phoeinx" (the people who made my external drive)... thanks

Raoul Rodriguez    n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu

"Several errant electrons jumped when they shouldn't have at a place they
shouldn't have, resulting in what shouldn't have.  In short, a short."
-Bloom County

saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) (01/25/91)

 I'm afraid your dealers gave you the correct answer.

 But: With some tools... make a new one yourself! :)

  -Saffe-

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (01/25/91)

saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) writes:

> I'm afraid your dealers gave you the correct answer.

> But: With some tools... make a new one yourself! :)

>  -Saffe-

Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button
(a little piece of molded plastic which probably cost CBM $.02 and which I
would gladly pay $10-$15 to get) because they don't sell it? But I can shell
out around $100 for a brand new internal drive, pay another $60 for instalation
just so I can get a 100% working drive button? God that pisses me off...

So just how do you suggest I make one? Or does anyone out there care to
spare their internal drive button to a needy college student? ;-)

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (01/25/91)

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:

>saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) writes:

>> I'm afraid your dealers gave you the correct answer.

>>  -Saffe-

>Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button

When the drive manufacturers ship the drive, they already have the buttons
on them.  CBM probably doesn't stock *any* separate drive parts.

Your best bet is either to write the drive manufacturer or drop by any
computer store that does repair work and try to get a button from a dead
drive.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

johnhlee@hermod.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (01/25/91)

In article <1262@pdxgate.UUCP> twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:
>saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) writes:
>> I'm afraid your dealers gave you the correct answer.
>> But: With some tools... make a new one yourself! :)
>Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button
>(a little piece of molded plastic which probably cost CBM $.02 and which I
>would gladly pay $10-$15 to get) because they don't sell it? But I can shell
>out around $100 for a brand new internal drive, pay another $60 for instalation
>just so I can get a 100% working drive button? God that pisses me off...

Well, yes, except CBM doesn't sell it because CBM doesn't make it, and can't
buy it from the drive manufacturer who is *not* CBM.  CBM uses drives from
various manufacturers (Chinon, Mitsushita, etc.), and I would not be the
least surprised that the drive eject button is not individually sold by any
of them.

This kind of reminds me of when my Dad tried to replace an electronic pickup
in our boat engine.  The part probably costs a dollar, but the engine company
said that they only sell it as part of a whole new distributor...

>So just how do you suggest I make one? Or does anyone out there care to
>spare their internal drive button to a needy college student? ;-)

Try acrylic plastic.  Great stuff.  That and a moto-tool.  Another option is
to try to find some place that will sell (or even give) you the drive button
from a broken drive they have lying around.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

vernon@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) (01/26/91)

In article <1262@pdxgate.UUCP> twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:
>saffe@lut.fi (Petri Savolainen) writes:
>

>> I'm afraid your dealers gave you the correct answer.
>
>> But: With some tools... make a new one yourself! :)
>
>>  -Saffe-
>
>Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button
>(a little piece of molded plastic which probably cost CBM $.02 and which I
>would gladly pay $10-$15 to get) because they don't sell it? But I can shell
>out around $100 for a brand new internal drive, pay another $60 for instalation
>just so I can get a 100% working drive button? God that pisses me off...

About 3 years ago I had a simular problem with a key cap for my A1000
I called CBM . They said "buy a new keyboard" I said thats stupid.
they agreed and said"buy a new keyboard" I said thats stupid. This went on
for some time. Me being angry but trying not to get irate. I ask for
their bosses name and number. I call him/her got the same responce
I asked for the next higher level. This went on through about 6 people
untill I reached the secretary of ( I think ) then president. I talked
to her for a while and she would see if she could do anything about my
problem. About 15 min later I got a call from the first person I talked
to asking whitch cap I needed and where to send it. It cost me $10 for
the cap and about $5 in phone bills but I did'nt buy a new keyboard.
and it felt good.
                               Vernon

milamber@caen.engin.umich.edu (Daryl Scott Cantrell) (01/26/91)

In article <kherron.664745849@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:
>
>>Wait, no, let me get this straight. I cannot get a new internal drive button
>
>When the drive manufacturers ship the drive, they already have the buttons
>on them.  CBM probably doesn't stock *any* separate drive parts.

  I'm having a similar problem with a part Commodore DID supply.  I broke the
left audio jack on my 3000 (amazing how much leverage you get on it when you
push down on a cable plugged into it..) and couldn't get a new one.  I figured
I'd just go to an authorized repair center and order a replacement but the guy
initially wanted me to replace my motherboard (mega-bucks).  All for a $.05 piece
of molded plasic made in a Korean sweat shop!  Eventually he talked Commodore
(which refused to sell him an audio jack) into doing a warranty motherboard-
swap.  I don't have a problem with this since I'm not paying for it, but I
imagine any profit margin CBM made on my educational buy is out the window..
  Commodore sold me this computer (nice!), they have some minimum obligation
to supply replacement parts.  I mean there's a bin somewhere in their factory
with 100,000 of these things sitting in it!

--
+---------------------------------------+----------------------------+
|   // Daryl S. Cantrell                |   These opinions are       |

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (01/27/91)

In article <8846@sail.LABS.TEK.COM> vernon@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) writes:

      [...discussion of many phone calls to Commodore people deleted...]

>I asked for the next higher level. This went on through about 6 people
>untill I reached the secretary of ( I think ) then president. I talked
>to her for a while and she would see if she could do anything about my
>problem. About 15 min later I got a call from the first person I talked
>to asking whitch cap I needed and where to send it. It cost me $10 for
>the cap and about $5 in phone bills but I did'nt buy a new keyboard.
>and it felt good.
>                               Vernon

Vernon, my hat is off to you.

Sometimes if you don't take "no" for an answer your perseverence is
rewarded (but not always).

You should work in someone's purchasing dept.   ;^)
I can see you don't give up until you get what you want.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.