[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] BRIDGEBOARD HELP REQUESTED: Lost Virtual Drives

nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) (01/21/91)

Any assistance or information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

After switching all Bridgeboard storage from a dedicated IBM harddrive to the
Amiga's harddrive, I now find that my linked virtual drive is lost after
reboot or shutdown.

I have read and reread the documentation regarding the proper placement and
configuration of the "JDISK" and "JLINK" files.  Everything seems fine
throughout setup but after I shutdown or reboot, the virtual drive is gone.

Should I format the virtual drive (not mentioned in docs)?

Is there a statement needed in my autoexec.bat?

Does the virtual drive environment only support temporary (i.e. one time
usage)?

Does the virtual drive software not work or have bugs?

SYSTEM: A2000, Trumpcard Pro, Quantum 40, Syquest, 5 mb RAM,
        assorted IBM cards.

Can anyone give me a hint or e-mail me regarding their experience?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Tew

e-mail:
nwickham@triton.unm.edu

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (01/22/91)

In article <1991Jan21.143104.18989@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
>Any assistance or information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.
>
>After switching all Bridgeboard storage from a dedicated IBM harddrive to the
>Amiga's harddrive, I now find that my linked virtual drive is lost after
>reboot or shutdown.
>
>I have read and reread the documentation regarding the proper placement and
>configuration of the "JDISK" and "JLINK" files.  Everything seems fine
>throughout setup but after I shutdown or reboot, the virtual drive is gone.
>
>Should I format the virtual drive (not mentioned in docs)?
>
>Is there a statement needed in my autoexec.bat?
>
>Does the virtual drive environment only support temporary (i.e. one time
>usage)?
>
>Does the virtual drive software not work or have bugs?

this last one is the closest :)
you *must* do a JLINK D: /U (where D: is your jlinked drive) before shutting
down.  i'm working on it.

>SYSTEM: A2000, Trumpcard Pro, Quantum 40, Syquest, 5 mb RAM,
>        assorted IBM cards.
>

>Can anyone give me a hint or e-mail me regarding their experience?
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

>Charles Tew
>
>e-mail:
>nwickham@triton.unm.edu

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/23/91)

Neal> After switching all Bridgeboard storage from a dedicated IBM harddrive
Neal> to the Amiga's harddrive, I now find that my linked virtual drive is
Neal> lost after reboot or shutdown.

Neal> Should I format the virtual drive (not mentioned in docs)?

I forget, but isn't there a format step mentioned in the docs (DPFormat or
some such)?

Neal> Is there a statement needed in my autoexec.bat?

Well, yes.  For the virtual drive to be found, you must 'Jlink' to it before
you use it.  Therefore, its appropriate to put Jlink in AUTOEXEC.BAT along
with Jdisk in CONFIG.SYS.  Also, PCDisk should be running on the Amiga side
when the Jlink is issued, so PCDisk should be early in the Startup-Sequence of
the Amiga.

Neal> Does the virtual drive environment only support temporary (i.e. one time
Neal> usage)?

Only if you put the virtual drive in RAM:.  There should be an Amiga file
stored on an Amiga drive after doing the 'Jlink /c' command, so look for it
and make sure its size is greater than zero.

Neal> Does the virtual drive software not work or have bugs?

I've run into bugs and not been able to create more than one permanent virtual
drive.  Also, if something fails (like JLink), PCDisk may wind up being hung
and you'll have to do a hard boot.

In general, when it works, it works okay.  When it doesn't, it fails
miserably.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

mark@zach.fit.edu ( Mark R. Craig) (01/23/91)

I have a question very similar to the one asked previously.  When I try to
jlink to the df1: disk inorder to save pc files to 3.5", it works fine.  I
can write to it and access the files.  However, when I turn off the machine,
and boot up again, I can no longer successfully use what was saved on the
3.5" disk.  I execute jlink e: df1:vd so that it will try to use the
existing file "df1:vd".  It successfully mounts the virtual drive.  However,
I notice that some of the files are missing or are chopped off - the jlink
to the existing virtual drive did not remount it to the right size.  I have
tried jlink e: /u to unlink it before turning off the machine, but it still
doesn't work.  Because of this, using 3.5" disks are useless - I can use them
but only for the same session that I create them.

Can anyone solve this problem or give me some insight on what's happening?

Thanks

Mark
mark@zach.fit.edu
Mark R. Craig
Internet:  la086318@zach.fit.edu
UUCP:      ...!winnie!zach!la086318

wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org (Walter Mildenberger) (01/27/91)

In article <17870@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Scott Drysdale writes:

|>In article <1991Jan21.143104.18989@ariel.unm.edu> nwickham@triton.unm.edu (Neal C. Wickham) writes:
|>>[...]
|>>Does the virtual drive software not work or have bugs?
|>
|>this last one is the closest :)
|>you *must* do a JLINK D: /U (where D: is your jlinked drive) before shutting
|>down.  i'm working on it.
	 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Uh ! *GREAT* : I was worried if C= has dropped the XT/AT-Card-Project :
	-no sw-update for (at least) a year.
	-PC/XT-card does not automount (you have to run BindDrivers) (how
		about PC/AT-Card ?!?)
	- does not run properly on A3000
	- switching between monochrome and color-mode can cause a guru
	- etc.
Is C= working on all the bugs, or only on the jlink-problem ?!?

Regards
--
Walter Mildenberger, Morgenstr. 55, W-7500 Karlsruhe 1, FRG
SubNet: wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org ****** Voice: +49 721 385090

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (01/28/91)

In article <1895a312.ARN2617@chumly.ka.sub.org> wasp@chumly.ka.sub.org writes:
>In article <17870@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Scott Drysdale writes:
>|>down.  i'm working on it.
>	 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Uh ! *GREAT* : I was worried if C= has dropped the XT/AT-Card-Project :
>	-no sw-update for (at least) a year.
>	-PC/XT-card does not automount (you have to run BindDrivers) (how
>		about PC/AT-Card ?!?)

the 2286 (80286 bridgeboard) has the same "feature."

>	- does not run properly on A3000

argh.  i wish this rumor would die quickly.  to make the bridgeboard work
on an A3000, you must disable the 68030's data cache during access to the
bridgeboard.  you can turn off ALL data caching using the CPU program, or
you can run ENFORCER which understands bridgeboards and disables caching
for the addresses occupied by the bridgeboard.

>	- switching between monochrome and color-mode can cause a guru
>	- etc.
>Is C= working on all the bugs, or only on the jlink-problem ?!?

working on all the bugs, and adding some new stuff.