[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Serious problems with A3000 parallel port!

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (01/19/91)

In article <1991Jan15.221415.3001@kberg.se> svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) writes:

>During the use of the Amiga 3000 we have seen some problems regarding
>the parallell interface. The problem manifests itself by lost
>characters and hung printers. An example:
>These problems cannot be duplicated on A2000, A500 or A1000 to our
>knowledge. We have had some similar problems with an A2500 but that is
>not for sure.

No such problem with either ProPage or PageStream on an A500 with
a CSA MMR 33MHz 030 with 2 megs of 32bit RAM...
--
John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the seven-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (01/19/91)

In article <26381@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) writes:

>In article <1991Jan15.221415.3001@kberg.se> svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) writes:

>>During the use of the Amiga 3000 we have seen some problems regarding
>>the parallell interface. The problem manifests itself by lost
>>characters and hung printers. An example:

>No such problem with either ProPage or PageStream on an A500 with
>a CSA MMR 33MHz 030 with 2 megs of 32bit RAM...

Hmm, maybe the A3000 has some slightly different timing in the access
of the chips. Btw, does the IO ports reside in 32-bit memory? As it is
the centronics interface, even microseconds can cause problems...

>John  M.  Adams   --**--   Professional Student on the seven-year plan!     ///
>Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///
--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (01/24/91)

	If you want to, you might try swapping the two CIA chips in your
	A3000 to see if the problem goes away.... Of course since the
	problem chip would still be in your system, a different problem
	might show up in another area.... (like drive problems!) But
	at least you would have pinned it down and could get a replacement
	chip....

	Good Luck

	-Mike-

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (01/28/91)

In article <10000012@hpmwngf.HP.COM> mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>	If you want to, you might try swapping the two CIA chips in your

I am afraid the problem has been seen on every A3000 shipped to us...
That kind of rules out the CIAs. Another thing might be that the QMS
410 has some parallel port problems. The local QMS rep. has no story
on that.

I have also been loosing characters on an EPSON GQ-3500 emulating
HPLJ. The fact that some kind of error appears on two different
machines leads me to thing of some design flaw.

>	-Mike-

But thanks anyway, Yours is among the few answers I've got.

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se