[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Deskjet printer driver wanted

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (01/24/91)

>In article <8147@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>
>    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
>    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
>    to use professional page for A4 pages, (11 3/4 x 8 1/4) so losing
>    the bottom inch and a bit is a real pain!

   I think if you read your LJ/DJ manual, you'll find it's the printer
itself that has this limit in it.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (01/25/91)

    Now our news posting software is supposed to be fixed..

    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
    to use professional page for A4 pages, (11 3/4 x 8 1/4) so losing
    the bottom inch and a bit is a real pain!

    The 1.3 drivers for deskjet and laserjet both have an 8x10 limit.
    Given that the DJ and LJ are obvious choices for high quality, non
    postscript DTP applications the size limit seems strange.. or is it
    just that US paper is that size?

    As an alternative, does anyone know how to newzap the existing
    driver to increase the limit?

    Any help gratefully recieved!

    Jerry   jc@cel.co.uk    or maybe	jc@crosfield.co.uk
--
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+     |
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------+ \___/

jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) (01/28/91)

In article <1991Jan25.054856.19689@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (infographie) writes:
>In article <8147@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:

ME>    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
ME>    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want

>     It is actually a limit of the printer, not the driver.  The HP
>DeskJets cannot print anything wider than 8 inches, and can't use the

	Ok, thats not a problem..

>3 bottom lines (half an inch).  Also the printer has a top margin of 3
>lines by default, but this can be changed (it CAN print to the top 3 lines).

	But the 10 inch limit still leaves 1 1/4 inches at the bottom of an
	A4 page that could be printed on, even after allowing for the 1/2
	inch gap, so my original request still stands; Is there any way of
	increasing the height?

>     I still wish I had a 68030, though, because generating 1 meg of
>bitmap (at 300 DPI) is a big strain on my poor 68000...  10 minutes to
>print a page...
>
>  Robert Gagnon

	Yes, pro page is slow, isn't it? The AmigaTex deskjet driver
(specifically for TeX outputs only) does a full page in about a fifth of the
time.. and copes with A4 properly, so it can be done! I wonder how much of the
speed difference is down to pro page and how much to going through the graphic
dump driver?

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+     |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ \___/

In article <ben.4626@epmooch.UUCP> ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>>In article <8147@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>>
>>    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
>>    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
>>    to use professional page for A4 pages, (11 3/4 x 8 1/4) so losing
>>    the bottom inch and a bit is a real pain!
>
>   I think if you read your LJ/DJ manual, you'll find it's the printer
>itself that has this limit in it.

	Ok.. The width is a hard limit, but the only limit on height is that
	you're not supposed to use the bottom 1/2 inch. That means I'm still
	losing 1 1/4 inch of usable space on an A4 sheet! It can be done..
	The dedicated AmigaTeX driver does it fine!

--
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+     |

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (01/28/91)

writes:

> >    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
> >    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
> >    to use professional page for A4 pages, (11 3/4 x 8 1/4) so losing
> >    the bottom inch and a bit is a real pain!
>
>    I think if you read your LJ/DJ manual, you'll find it's the printer
> itself that has this limit in it.
>
> --
> | ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important
than |
> | ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al
Shugart, |
> | !chinet!uokmax!servalan!epmooch!ben     |  CEO, Seagate Technologies

I think you will find that it is the bottom 1/2 in that is a "dead area"
no matter what the size of the paper. With my Deskjet 500 and using
Pagestream 1.8 I can print graphics within 11mm of the end of an A4
sheet. With Professional Page 1.3 no matter how I set the margins or
paper size i.e A4 or US LEGAL the graphics always finish 38mm from the
bottom of the paper.
I use DJHELPER to manipulate my DeskJet 500 and this programme allows me
to pretend that I can get 70 lines of TEXT at 6 lines/inch on an A4. If
you own a Deskjet get DJHELPER.
So the problem seems to be in PPage. Even using the driver that comes
with DJHELPER I still get the large gap on the sheet of A4. Pagestream
uses its own driver.

ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (infographie) (01/29/91)

In article <8177@suns201.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.054856.19689@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (infographie) writes:
>>In article <8147@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>
>ME>    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
>ME>    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
>
>>     It is actually a limit of the printer, not the driver.  The HP
>>DeskJets cannot print anything wider than 8 inches, and can't use the
>
>	Ok, thats not a problem..
>
>>3 bottom lines (half an inch).  Also the printer has a top margin of 3
>>lines by default, but this can be changed (it CAN print to the top 3 lines).
>
>	But the 10 inch limit still leaves 1 1/4 inches at the bottom of an
>	A4 page that could be printed on, even after allowing for the 1/2
>	inch gap, so my original request still stands; Is there any way of
>	increasing the height?

Would changing the number of lines in preferences and changing the page size
to custom work?  I can't try here, I only have standard sheets.

>>     I still wish I had a 68030, though, because generating 1 meg of
>>bitmap (at 300 DPI) is a big strain on my poor 68000...  10 minutes to
>>print a page...
>>
>>  Robert Gagnon
>
>	Yes, pro page is slow, isn't it? The AmigaTex deskjet driver
>(specifically for TeX outputs only) does a full page in about a fifth of the
>time.. and copes with A4 properly, so it can be done! I wonder how much of the
>speed difference is down to pro page and how much to going through the graphic
>dump driver?

Xoper tells me that it is the driver that takes the most CPU time.

>+-----------------------------------------------------------------+     |
>| Jerry Cullingford   jc@cel.co.uk  or  jc@crosfield.co.uk        |   ,-|--
>| #include <std.disclaimer>  Amiga! 2,000,000+ and counting....   |   \_|__
>+-----------------------------------------------------------------+ \___/

Robert //
     \X/ Gagnon

svante@kberg.se (Svante Gellerstam) (01/29/91)

In article <8177@suns201.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>In article <1991Jan25.054856.19689@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (infographie) writes:
>>In article <8147@suns102.cel.co.uk> jc@cel.co.uk (jerry cullingford) writes:
>
>ME>    Does anyone know where I can find an HP deskjet(+) printer driver
>ME>    that will support graphics dumps bigger than 8x10 inches? I want
>
>>     It is actually a limit of the printer, not the driver.  The HP
>>DeskJets cannot print anything wider than 8 inches, and can't use the

The DeskJet (Plus) can handle 8" and the length you specify, I've
dumped across pages with no problem.

The main problem is the driver which does not allow more than 10" high
pages. I tailored a printer driver for use with PPage / PDraw and the
PageSetter II programs. If I get many requests, I may upload it to
alt.*.amiga or another group if that's more convenient.

The driver works only with PPage / PDraw / PSII. The benefits are:
 * Twice as fast as the original if the internal halftoner is used.
 * The internal halftoner tones across bands unlike the original
   driver - smoother grey areas.
 * Uses the paper length specified in Preferences.
 * Accounts for printer specific white margins - positioning on the
   page within ProPage is millimeter accurate.
 * Prints graphics 1/4" from top of page.
 * Uses the compressed graphics modes of the DeskJet Plus.

A version for the HP LaserJet also exists.

/svante

--
Svante Gellerstam		svante@kberg.se, d87sg@efd.lth.se