[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 display problems.

groleau@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Francois Groleau) (01/19/91)

I have my A3000/25/50 since 3 weeks. Last night, the screen began
to be quite "jumpy" (it seems to move vertically). I tried to adjust the
display enhancer but it didn't change anything. I wonder if
someone has a solution (it's a very annoying problem and I don't
want to lose my 3000 for 2 weeks after only 3 weeks of use).
Thank you for your responses.

Francois Groleau |  Going on means going far...  |     // Only Amiga!
McRCIM           |  ...going far means returning |    //
McGill University|                               |\\ //   Proud owner of an
Montreal, Canada |<groleau@moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>| \X/    Amiga 3000!

jseymour@hdwr1.UUCP (James Seymour) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan19.081538.18283@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
>In article <1991Jan19.040329.8245@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu> groleau@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Francois Groleau) writes:
>>I have my A3000/25/50 since 3 weeks. Last night, the screen began
>>to be quite "jumpy" (it seems to move vertically). I tried to adjust the
>>display enhancer but it didn't change anything. I wonder if
>>someone has a solution (it's a very annoying problem and I don't
>>want to lose my 3000 for 2 weeks after only 3 weeks of use).
>>Thank you for your responses.
>
>     This is due to a known problem in the 1950 monitor.  Take it (the monitor)
>back to the dealer and they should be able to fix it.
>
>--
>
>George L. Skank			|
>skank@iastate.edu		|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...
>Senior, Electrical Engineering	|(not necessarily in that order)

Francis,

Are you using a 1950 color monitor?  The problem you describe sounds like
the one I've been experiencing (and been trying to solve) for several months
now.

George,

I give, what's the problem?  I've been in contact with Commodore Customer
Satisfaction and _they_ don't know what it is.  They say they are not even
aware that such a problem exists.  They even shipped me an advance replacement
unit 'cuz my dealer can't help me, and it has the same problem.  I've now
been through no less than four (4) 1950's and they all suffer the vertical
jitter problem.

I've found, at any rate, that it's highly sensitive to temperature.  Cool the
room down, cool the monitor down with a fan on top of it, heat the unit up
a bit by blocking off part of the top vents, and viola' - the problem goes
away (or, at least, the symptoms subside).

BTW: So far I've found Commodore to be one of the most responsive
manufacturers I've ever encountered.  Now, if they can only get me a less
nervous 1950 :-)

--
Jim Seymour				| Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jseymour		| 38700 Grand River Ave.

874226@watt.usask.ca (Shawn Switenky) (01/27/91)

I have notices that my 1950 has had similar problems sometimes.
I have also noticed that if you fool around with the Vertical postion
controls on the side of the montior, they might clear up.  If this is the
case it might be that the potentiometer that controls this is dirty or
has some other problems.

I have noticed the problem on many of the 1950's I have seen as well.

Shawn Switenky
874226@watt.usask.ca

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (01/29/91)

The jitter problem is a registered problem with the early 1950. If you have
the problem your dealer should service it under warenty (ship it back).

--
"The problem with the Eunuch's Operating System
	is that it has no balls!"

eric@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Eric Quintana) (01/30/91)

groleau@McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Francois Groleau) writes:

>I have my A3000/25/50 since 3 weeks. Last night, the screen began
>to be quite "jumpy" (it seems to move vertically). I tried to adjust the
>display enhancer but it didn't change anything. I wonder if
>someone has a solution (it's a very annoying problem and I don't
>want to lose my 3000 for 2 weeks after only 3 weeks of use).
>Thank you for your responses.

Your first course of action should be to return the monitor
to your dealer which he should replace.

A few months ago, I posted a way to "fix" it yourself, but this
requires you to open your monitor.  If you are desparate, I'll mail
you a copy.

Eric Quintana                       eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com
Motorola Microprocessor Design      (512) 891-2915