[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] NorthGate OmniKey Ultra Keyboard

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) (01/29/91)

Is anyone in net-land using a NorthGate OmniKey Ultra keyboard with
their 2000? I noticed in their catalog that they sell an Amiga keycap
set with the keyboard. What about the cable? The 2000 cable uses a
DIN-type connector rather than the IBM's RJ connector.
--

                                /\  /\
                               //\\//\\

griffin@frith.uucp (Danny Griffin) (01/30/91)

paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) writes:

>Is anyone in net-land using a NorthGate OmniKey Ultra keyboard with
>their 2000? I noticed in their catalog that they sell an Amiga keycap
>set with the keyboard. What about the cable? The 2000 cable uses a
>DIN-type connector rather than the IBM's RJ connector.
>--
Yes, I have been using one for quite some time.  I bought mine from
Access Computer Technologies in Santa Clara, CA for $99.  I had to
purchase the Amiga keycaps from Northgate for $15, though.  I love it.

--
Dan Griffin               | A "critic" is a man who creates nothing and
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu | thereby feels qualified to judge the works of
                          | creative men.  There is logic in this; he is
"Crritic!" -- Estragon    | unbiased -- he hates all creative people equally.

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (01/30/91)

>In article <paul.5154@wa1omm.UUCP> paul@wa1omm.UUCP (Paul MacDonald) writes:
>Is anyone in net-land using a NorthGate OmniKey Ultra keyboard with
>their 2000? I noticed in their catalog that they sell an Amiga keycap
>set with the keyboard.

I am using one on my 1000 with a 1000 <-> 2000 adaptor. Unfortunately, the
newest Northgate KB ROM set seems to have a bug in it that prevents it from
working very well. I swiped a ROM from an older Northgate. Northgate seems
unaware that they are selling an Amiga compatible keyboard when I call thier
tech support line.

>What about the cable? The 2000 cable uses a
>DIN-type connector rather than the IBM's RJ connector.

I don't know what you're talking about. IBM's use DIN connectors, although
there are a few oddballs, like Amstrad that use other connectors.

I originally bought a keyboard from Northgate. It didn't work. I returned
it, and they sent me one that worked fine with my Amiga. I then spilled
coffee in it one day :-(. I tried to clean it to no avail. Then I ordered
another one, and when it arrived, it didn't work. I sent it back; they sent
me another, it didn't work. I took the ROM out of the one I spilled coffee
in, and the keyboard from the newest one, and made a working one out of it
rather than deal with thier tech support.

So 3 out of the 4 keyboards they have shipped have not worked on an Amiga.
2 out of the 4 would not work on an AT clone either (those were DOA). I
inspected each keyboard to see if I could figure out what was wrong with
it. Folks, when pins are crammed into ribbon connectors crooked so that
the adjacent pins short each other, it ain't likely to work. They apparently
do not test thier keyboards before shipping them, instead relying on the
customer for quality control.

It's a real pity, because the keyboards are _excellent_ when they are
working correctly.

I have heard but have not verified that the keyboards do not work on
accelerated Amigas because they do not really conform to the Amiga keyboard
timing spec fully. It's a shame Northgate chose not to Do The Right Thing.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |