[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SCSI <=> Mac SCSI <=> Amiga SCSI

watters@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/30/91)

.I have a DirectDrive 40 which is a Mac external drive and I would like to hook
.it to an Amiga controller (A2091). The drive inside the case appears to have a
.standard SCSI connector that the ribbon cable would hook to, if I just wanted
.to extract the drive.
.The case has the parallel connector that I assume most Mac externals use and I
.have a 25pin to parallel connector, which would allow me to hook the drive in
.it's external case to the back of the A2091. (This is the best scenario.)

In case anyone needs to know for themselves or planned on replying:

This drive worked fine connected to the A2091.  It directly connected to the
back of the 2091 with the 25pin to parallel cable I had.
As much as I have complained about the uncertainty of the 2091 ROM situation
I have to try and give equal time praising what is otherwise wonderfully
designed hardware and superb software!!!
The 2091 found the drive right away and the software was able to read every bit
of imformation it needed to set up the partitions.  It ended up being 44MB when
it was formatted and is giving reads of 530K/s and writes of 420K/s.
This is not quite as fast as the reads on the Quantum 40S (600-700K/s) but
is faster than the Quantum's writes (350K/s), how much these numbers
matter I don't know (dperf2).

The drive has its' own power supply, two plugs for other hardware,
SCSI daisychain, two color LED for R/W, and a push button selector to set the
SCSI id. It uses a Miniscribe mechanism.

Thanks to all that helped.

David

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/31/91)

In article <87805@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, watters@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) writes:
> Is a Mac SCSI drive different than a standard SCSI drive which I assume the
> Amiga uses.
>
> I have a DirectDrive 40 which is a Mac external drive and I would like to hook
> it to an Amiga controller (A2091).  The drive inside the case appears to have a
> standard SCSI connector that the ribbon cable would hook to, if I just wanted
> to extract the drive.
> The case has the parallel connector that I assume most Mac externals use and I
> have a 25pin to parallel connector, which would allow me to hook the drive in
> it's external case to the back of the A2091. (This is the best scenario.)

Watch it!  That's a 50-pin Amphenol connector, not a 36-pin one like parallel
printers use.  They look the same, but the 50 pin one is much w-i-d-e-r.
You'll probably need a Mac "system" cable (available from Misco, Inmac, and
a few others.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|   "Everybody has to deviate from the norm...."                           |
|                                  - Rush                                  |
|   "I guess that makes me a deviant!"                                     |