[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Harddisk backup programs

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/29/91)

In article <3875.9101271520@uk.ac.keele.seq1>, "M.N. Steed" <csw90@seq1.keele.ac.uk> writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> Could some kind soul reccomend a decent hard disk backup program?
>
> Ideally it will be
> a) capable of backing up 20Mb, 40Mb and 100Mb+ drives
> b) be 3000 compatible
> c) be FREE!! (or freeish, ie PD/ FTP'able)

Golly, Mr. Wizard!  The 3000 comes with HDBackup.  It'll back up to floppy
or tape.  I've not used it yet, but there it is.  And it came with your
machine.

Of course, if you have an _early_ 3000, there's a backup utility called
BRU, which is a port from a Unix backup program.  I've not used it yet,
either.

On my 2500/30, I use QuarterBack, but it's not free, and I've not tried it
under 2.0, so there may be an incompatibility there.
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|                                                                          |
|   "Everybody has to deviate from the norm...."                           |
|                                  - Rush                                  |
|   "I guess that makes me a deviant!"                                     |
|                                  - Me!                                   |
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------`

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/31/91)

In article <18300@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
> In article <2246@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>>Golly, Mr. Wizard!  The 3000 comes with HDBackup.  It'll back up to floppy
>>or tape.  I've not used it yet, but there it is.  And it came with your
>>machine.
>>
>>Of course, if you have an _early_ 3000, there's a backup utility called
>>BRU, which is a port from a Unix backup program.  I've not used it yet,
>>either.
>
> 	HDBackup is a front-end to BRU.  BRU was written by Fred Fish.

A-ha!  Just what I thought!  Now, Randell, could you answer a few questions for
me?  I got HDBackup in my 2.04 developer update.  I load it up on my 2500/30
and Voila!, the Devices menu shows tape: as a valid device.  Note that my
2500/30 has a HardFrame in it.  Now, I've not tried to use tape: before on
that system, so I don't know if it works at all.  I assume I'll have to edit
the BRUtab, since the HardFrame's device driver name is "HardFrame.device".

Now, I installed HDBackup on my 3000 (from the 2.04 disks).  When I bring it
up, "tape:" doesn't show up on the menu, although it's in the BRUtab.  I've
also done the "SETENV BRUTAB=sys:s/BRUtab" thingie.  I plug my Wangdat 5150S
into the SCSI port on the 3000's back panel and run HDToolBox.  The drive
shows up as SCSI device 4 (good, since that's what it's jumpered to be).
The BRUtab says that the tape should be device 4 on scsi.device.  HDBackup
still doesn't see it.  So, I tried to run BRU with a "-ftape:" option.  I get
a requestor to install tape: in any drive.

HELP!  How do I use this beast?  Do I have to mount tape:?  If so, how do
I format the tape?  What's the MountList entry supposed to look like?

I'm sinking fast, and since the hard disk I installed is a Conner CP3200
(200MB), I'd really like to use the tape drive to back up (I backed up to
floppy once when it wasn't full, but it took 75 disks! I have better things
to do than feed my Amoeba floppies all night).

BTW, the manual section on HDBackup and that on BRU are not much help in
this regard.