[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Touchscreen infomation help

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (01/31/91)

Help, I need as much information about touchscreens as you can give me.

Preferably something that will work with AmigaVision.  What I am going
to use it for is a display that we are thinking of putting up here
at Texas A&M for a visitor information Kosk (sp?).  The idea that was
floated was to use a PS 2-25 machine, with costs going up to about
$4000, I KNOW a 500 purchased under the education discount plan, with
a touch screen, and harddrive (and since the 500 would come with Amiga
Vision (the perfect authoring system for this)) would come to no more
than $1700.  Any information on the prices of Touchscreens would be
of great assistance, and if possible, lemme know by Friday...

Thanks in Advance

Raoul "My 500 Has a Detachable Keyboard" Rodriguez
n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
Standard Disclaimers Apply (Within)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (01/31/91)

In article <11629@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:
> Help, I need as much information about touchscreens as you can give me.
>
> Preferably something that will work with AmigaVision.  What I am going
> to use it for is a display that we are thinking of putting up here
> at Texas A&M for a visitor information Kosk (sp?).  The idea that was
> floated was to use a PS 2-25 machine, with costs going up to about
> $4000, I KNOW a 500 purchased under the education discount plan, with
> a touch screen, and harddrive (and since the 500 would come with Amiga
> Vision (the perfect authoring system for this)) would come to no more
> than $1700.  Any information on the prices of Touchscreens would be
> of great assistance, and if possible, lemme know by Friday...

I have used the MicroTouch touch screen and while it works, it is
less than neat.  The software is barbaric and it does not handle
overscan images correctly.

I would go down to your local Amiga dealer and look at the AmigaVision
manual.  It has a list of manufacturers touch screen devices that work
fine with AmigaVision.

I would also point out that the Amiga 500 is probably not the best
vehicle for a presentation, though with careful work, it would work.
Remember, the A500 comes with 512k of chip memory, and any graphics
and animation that you create will need to work in this narrow window.
Also to note, AmigaVision requires at least 600k just to load.

Anyway, the slowness of the A590 is probably not very diserable in
any information kiosk.

You may want to consider a A2000 and a A2091 with appropriate memory
upgrade.  You will go further.

> Thanks in Advance
>
> Raoul "My 500 Has a Detachable Keyboard" Rodriguez
> n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu
> Standard Disclaimers Apply (Within)

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 | \/     |   Mark D. Manes                    "Mr. AmigaVision"
 | /\  \/ |   manes@vger.nsu.edu
 |     /  |   (804) 683-2532    "Make up your own mind! - AMIGA"
 +--------+   ==================================================

n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) (02/01/91)

Mark D. Manes "Mr. AmigaVision" wrote (summarized)
That it would be better if I went with a 2000 system, because the 500
only has 512K, and that the 590 was a crummy HD.

This is my fault, I should have clarified, all of the education systems
with the 500 are 1 Meg, and I was looking for ANY realtivly cheap
HD (by dependable) Hard Drive to operate the system, going up to a 2000
based system (atlthough nice) would probably be wasted (unless I had to have
a 2000 to use the touchscreen) because of the cost for the 2000 system.
(and also that I would not need to use the slots in the 2000 (save the
Hard Drive)).

P.S. All of the educatoin 500 systems come with AmigaVision and the
1084s monitor (along with the aformentioned 1 meg of memory)

If neccessary I can also add extra ram through the HD for the 500...

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (02/01/91)

In article <11665@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n368bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Raoul Rodriguez) writes:
> Mark D. Manes "Mr. AmigaVision" wrote (summarized)
> That it would be better if I went with a 2000 system, because the 500
> only has 512K, and that the 590 was a crummy HD.

Ack, tis not what I said.  Don't translate my words into "500 bashing".

I mentioned a chip memory limitation on the Amiga 500 and since you are
doing graphics this could come into play quickly.

> This is my fault, I should have clarified, all of the education systems
> with the 500 are 1 Meg, and I was looking for ANY realtivly cheap
> HD (by dependable) Hard Drive to operate the system, going up to a 2000
> based system (atlthough nice) would probably be wasted (unless I had to have
> a 2000 to use the touchscreen) because of the cost for the 2000 system.
> (and also that I would not need to use the slots in the 2000 (save the
> Hard Drive)).

AmigaVision requires 600k+ of memory, a hard disk (depending on it size)
takes memory.  In short, 1 megabyte Amiga's don't work particulary
well for AmigaVision presentations.

> P.S. All of the educatoin 500 systems come with AmigaVision and the
> 1084s monitor (along with the aformentioned 1 meg of memory)

I am well aware of this.

> If neccessary I can also add extra ram through the HD for the 500...

I realize this, but "appearance" is everything in a multimedia presentation.
I doubt very seriously that PC-minded administrators will look at the
500 and consider it anything other than a game machine.