[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] dead 2000 power supply

vho@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Viet Ho) (01/30/91)

Is there a quick fix for dead A2000 powersupply?
Symptom:  When I turn it on, the LED (POWER) lights
 up but then dies in 1 sec.

I'm currently living on a 150W IBM power supply but
it's dimensions don't fit exactly and so I lose
part of the 5.25" HD bay area.

-Viet

watters@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan29.220628.18859@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> vho@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>Is there a quick fix for dead A2000 powersupply?
>Symptom:  When I turn it on, the LED (POWER) lights
> up but then dies in 1 sec.
>-Viet

These are the symptoms I had in one of my machines.  I took it to my local
amiga dealer and he took $50 to look at it, proclaimed the supply dead, ordered
a new one (>$150), charged me $90 in labor (9hrs.) to put in the new one, and
threw out my old one.  My fan had gotten full of gook and I kept catching it
being stuck.
Well, it obviously had gotten stuck without me catching it and burned out, thus
keeping the machine from coming up.  So I paid ~$300 to fix a $15 dollar fan.
The moral: We are all doomed to get screwed.

ps. Now you know why I am not enthused about trying to fix my 2091.
--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

duncan@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/02/91)

From article <87806@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, by watters@skink.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters):
> In article <1991Jan29.220628.18859@mintaka.lcs.mit.edu> vho@churchy.ai.mit.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>>Is there a quick fix for dead A2000 powersupply?
>>Symptom:  When I turn it on, the LED (POWER) lights
>> up but then dies in 1 sec.
>>-Viet
>
> These are the symptoms I had in one of my machines.  I took it to my local
> amiga dealer and he took $50 to look at it, proclaimed the supply dead, ordered
> a new one (>$150), charged me $90 in labor (9hrs.) to put in the new one, and
> threw out my old one.  My fan had gotten full of gook and I kept catching it
> being stuck.
> Well, it obviously had gotten stuck without me catching it and burned out, thus
> keeping the machine from coming up.  So I paid ~$300 to fix a $15 dollar fan.
> The moral: We are all doomed to get screwed.
>
> ps. Now you know why I am not enthused about trying to fix my 2091.
> --
> "All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
>  All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH
> David watters@cis.ohio-state.edu  "It's 12:35... and Michigan STILL sucks."
> _-_-_-__---_---_---__-_-_-____ TurboExpress : The Neo*Geo of portables _____

Same EXACT thing that happened to me!  An expensive lession.  It
was hard for me to believe that they couldn't figure this out,
and just replace the fan.  Now since this happened to me two
years ago... and this appears to be a fairly common, I hope that
most of the service centers were told
about this potential problem and to look for it.  I called my
center and told them, they said 'thanks... sorry... bye'.