[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Direct connection of mac-drives?

andy@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Andy Colebourne) (01/29/91)

Is it possible to connect a mac drive to the disk-drive port WITHOUT
using the A-Max box???

If so, could someone tell me how to do it (i.e. pins + stuff)??

Andy

[ andy@uk.ac.lancs.comp ]

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/02/91)

In article <1173@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> andy@dcl-cs.UUCP (Andy Colebourne) writes:
>Is it possible to connect a mac drive to the disk-drive port WITHOUT
>using the A-Max box???
>
>If so, could someone tell me how to do it (i.e. pins + stuff)??
>
>Andy
>
>[ andy@uk.ac.lancs.comp ]

  Mac2DOS $90 comes with an adapter for hooking up a Mac drive. Maybe you
can ask if you can just buy the adapter.

David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3605  AMIGA  Toto Productions

DXB132@psuvm.psu.edu (02/02/91)

In article <1991Feb2.000648.15111@sbcs.sunysb.edu>,
dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) says:

>In article <1173@dcl-vitus.comp.lancs.ac.uk> andy@dcl-cs.UUCP (Andy
>Colebourne)
>writes:
>>Is it possible to connect a mac drive to the disk-drive port WITHOUT
>>using the A-Max box???
>>
>>If so, could someone tell me how to do it (i.e. pins + stuff)??

This SHOULD be quite easy. I too am interested (somewhat anyway); if
anyone has a success story to tell, go ahead. :-)

>  Mac2DOS $90 comes with an adapter for hooking up a Mac drive. Maybe you
>can ask if you can just buy the adapter.

Mac2DOS is more than just a cable, but that is because it is designed to
use the same drive for both mac and amiga. The way it does it (according to
a guruI spoke with) is to actually do the speed control itself (normally it
is done completely by the drive)! This is also the reason why they say
that only certain drives can be used for mac & amiga format both (in
conjunction with their device). [again this is what I was told and not the
result of my own research, so it might be wrong :-)]

-- Dan Babcock