[net.space] Angular Momentum Cancelation

fisher@wsgate.DEC (07/15/85)

<>
Someone asked for an example of angular momentum cancellation.  Isn't there
a helicopter which has two counterrotating, coaxial blades, rather than
a tail rotor?  (Perhaps it was a Popular Science "Coming next year" article
that talked about it, rather than something real).

Burns

	UUCP:	... {decvax|allegra|ucbvax}!decwrl!rhea!dvinci!fisher

	ARPA:	fisher%dvinci.dec@decwrl.ARPA

dollas@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (07/16/85)

There is a Soviet helicopter. Its NATO designation is HORMONE (don't ask
me why) which has two counter-rotating sets of blades and no tail rotor.

I do not know of any american helicopters that use this principle.

Apostolos Dollas
        USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!dollas
        ARPA:	dollas@uiuc.arpa

king@dciem.UUCP (Stephen King) (07/18/85)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
I believe that the Soviet helicopter 'Hind' uses two counter-rotating
sets of blades mounted coaxially, but, unless I'm mistaken, it also has
a tail rotor for controlling yaw. Unlike film spools, however, the
helicopter blades will not change in mass as the turn.
                -=-=-= sjk.

freeman@spar.UUCP (Jay Freeman) (07/21/85)

[]

In article <15700023@uiucdcsb> dollas@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>There is a Soviet helicopter. Its NATO designation is HORMONE (don't ask
>me why) which has two counter-rotating sets of blades and no tail rotor.
>
>I do not know of any american helicopters that use this principle.

An American manufacturer -- I think it was Kaman -- used to make some
helicopters that used contrarotating blades that meshed like the blades of
an eggbeater.  The Navy bought some of them.

--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)

dma@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dennis Anderson) (07/22/85)

> There is a Soviet helicopter. Its NATO designation is HORMONE (don't ask
> me why) which has two counter-rotating sets of blades and no tail rotor.
>
> I do not know of any american helicopters that use this principle.
>
> Apostolos Dollas
>         USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!dollas
>         ARPA:	dollas@uiuc.arpa

The Boeing/Vertol CH-47 also has counter-rotating rotors, and no tail rotor.

				Dennis Anderson @ Boeing Aerospace

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (07/25/85)

> There is a Soviet helicopter. Its NATO designation is HORMONE (don't ask
> me why) which has two counter-rotating sets of blades and no tail rotor.
>
> I do not know of any american helicopters that use this principle.
>
> Apostolos Dollas
>         USENET:	...!{pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!dollas
>         ARPA:	dollas@uiuc.arpa

There was an article in "Sport Aviation" a couple of month ago about
a fellow (American) who built his own helicopter with counter-rotating
blades (and, of course, no tail rotor).  The rotors are on seperate
shafts that formed a narrow V.  The rotors (two blades each) inter-mesh as
they rotate.