[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Terminal to AMiga Via AUX: ? How/help..

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/02/91)

Well I just aquired a Datamedia DT80/1 terminial (For $10)
and it works "ok" as a unix-terminial, but i can't seem to get it to
work hooked up to my amiga..

I THINK this type of terminial uses Xon/Xoff flow controll...
(It's somewhat flakey on UNIX)

Has anyone hooked up a Term to their amiga?

How do ya do it? Use a NullModem adaptor? Just a Gender bender like i got.
Or what?

Anyone know why this term "spits" out "little box's" everyso often?
Could it be Xon/Xoff stuff?

Anyone got a Manual for this thing?

again it's a DataMedis DT80/1

.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
 IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) (02/02/91)

In article <yorkw.665457036@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>Well I just aquired a Datamedia DT80/1 terminial (For $10)
>and it works "ok" as a unix-terminial, but i can't seem to get it to
>work hooked up to my amiga..
>
>I THINK this type of terminial uses Xon/Xoff flow controll...
>(It's somewhat flakey on UNIX)
>
>Has anyone hooked up a Term to their amiga?
>
>How do ya do it? Use a NullModem adaptor? Just a Gender bender like i got.
>Or what?
>
>Anyone know why this term "spits" out "little box's" everyso often?
>Could it be Xon/Xoff stuff?
>
>Anyone got a Manual for this thing?
>
>again it's a DataMedis DT80/1
>
>.
>
>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
> IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:
>there's only one thing to do...
>Give him a Boot to the head... Then repeat .... Then repeat...

 I just connected up a VT-100 terminal to my work 2000 last week.
Normally this requires a null modem cable(pins 2&3 reversed, plus 2
handshakes swapped if used). It works just fine and is handy for messing
around with copper lists. When performing this type of activity, one
wrong poke and your screen can go kerflooey. This way you still have the
terminal available to see what you are doing. Also I believe you can
invoke a mnemonic debugger by starting up workbench with the debug
option. However I can't swear by it since I ain't tried it in years.
Sorry, but I can't help you with your particular terminal - good luck!

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (02/05/91)

In article <18490@cbmvax.commodore.com> raible@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Raible - LSI Design) writes:
>In article <yorkw.665457036@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>Well I just aquired a Datamedia DT80/1 terminial (For $10)
>>and it works "ok" as a unix-terminial, but i can't seem to get it to
>>work hooked up to my amiga..
>>
>>I THINK this type of terminial uses Xon/Xoff flow controll...
>>(It's somewhat flakey on UNIX)
>>
>>Has anyone hooked up a Term to their amiga?
>>
>>How do ya do it? Use a NullModem adaptor? Just a Gender bender like i got.
>>Or what?
>>
>>Anyone know why this term "spits" out "little box's" everyso often?
>>Could it be Xon/Xoff stuff?
>>
>>Anyone got a Manual for this thing?
>>
>>again it's a DataMedis DT80/1
>>
>>.
>>
>>--
>>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu	Willis F York says:
>> IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:
>>there's only one thing to do...
>>Give him a Boot to the head... Then repeat .... Then repeat...
>
> I just connected up a VT-100 terminal to my work 2000 last week.
>Normally this requires a null modem cable(pins 2&3 reversed, plus 2
>handshakes swapped if used). It works just fine and is handy for messing
>around with copper lists. When performing this type of activity, one
>wrong poke and your screen can go kerflooey. This way you still have the
>terminal available to see what you are doing. Also I believe you can
>invoke a mnemonic debugger by starting up workbench with the debug
>option. However I can't swear by it since I ain't tried it in years.
>Sorry, but I can't help you with your particular terminal - good luck!
>#! rnews 1595

Yes, it's called ROMWack.  It seems the serial port must be INITed
before it can be invoked properly tho.

I have an Esprit 6110+ which I bought for $20... I have tried using
it with AUX:, but it seems to mess up linefeeds and stuff...  I use
a null-modem cable and 9600bpd communication rates.

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (02/05/91)

I used to have a VT-52 attached to my Amiga 1000; the only connections
involved were TxD, RxD, and Ground; pins 2 and 3 (TxD and RxD) had to
be reversed on the VT-52's connecter, then it worked.

Use preferences to set the serial port to 9600 baud and XON/XOFF
protocol.  The NEWCLI to AUX: does indeed work, as does ROM-WACK.

If you have access to these materials, Grand-WACK was, at one time,
part of the developer's toolkit.  Grand-WACK is even more complete
than ROM-WACK, and not a bad machine level debugger.  You can run
Grand-WACK over the serial port, too; you can even make it resident to
replace ROM-WACK through a command line switch.

Be careful playing with WACK.  A single slip can send your computer
off to never-never land ...

Wildstar