[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] EXABYTE on AMIGA

zofka@cernvax.cern.ch (milan zofka) (01/09/91)

First thing, excuse my bad english.. Do you prefer well written french ;-)

Due to total incapacity of CBM France & CBM Switzerland to solve my problems,
I hope that somewhere in this world, a nice guy, will reply to my question.

DOES SOMEBODY TRY TO USE AN EXABYTE ON AN AMIGA SUCCESSFULLY ?

I tried Tabu (yes i removed terminators on the disk and put it at the end
of the chain).

I tried with the WB2.x BRU  but a tape: device is asked. (if just
a mountlist entry is the solution, let me know).

What happend: the Exabyte is recognized by hdtoolbox as unknow type
              if you try Tabu, the disk start, the tape start but
              nothig goes from disk to tape (and sometimes say rd errors or
              wr errors or rewind errors. (Yes the exabyte is on a different
              scsi port).

Does somebody at CBM USA tried this nice device ?
Our a3000 is just beside a NEXT and a MAC. the two other machines uses the
exabyte fine but not the Amiga (as usual, everything goes wrong with the Amiga)
The best way? throw away the a3000 and use the other machines or find a
solution thru net ???

Milan ZOFKA
email:  mcsun!cernvax!zofka   or zofka@cernvax.UUCP  or zofka@cernvm.bitnet

gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gary D Walborn) (01/09/91)

Milan,
    What driver are you using for the SCSI tape (or should I say 'Handler')?
I am using Bob Rethemeyers BTN (Better Than Nothing) tape driver software
with a 3M 40 Meg tape drive and tar.  BRU gives a 'mount' message, as does
'type' and many other DOS commands.  'tar', however, works great!  I have
also had good results with 'pax'.  If your controller is a 2091, 2090A,
or Supra you might try this driver.

Gary Walborn <gwalborn@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

DrBob@cup.portal.com (Robert A Rethemeyer) (01/09/91)

Gary Walborn [hi Gary] suggested trying the BTNtape handler with
the Exabyte tape drive.  I can save you the trouble- it won't work
in it's present version (v1.0).  BTNtape 1.0 will work only with
the 3M drive it was designed for, which is a random-access device.
It will not work with sequential-access drives like the Exabyte.

I am currently working on a version of BTNtape which will support
sequential access tapes, including the Exabyte.  I will post it
when it is done.  Meanwhile, MWtape is your best choice for a handler.
  Bob Rethemeyer                     // "My Sneaker-Phone keeps kicking my
    DrBob@cup.portal.com   -or-     //   Football-Phone off the hook."
..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!DrBob //                      - Jay Leno

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (02/07/91)

In article <3719@cernvax.cern.ch> zofka@cernvax.cern.ch (milan zofka) writes:
>DOES SOMEBODY TRY TO USE AN EXABYTE ON AN AMIGA SUCCESSFULLY ?

Yes, occasionally.  The problem you are having is that the Exabyte
demands a blocksize of 1K.  Most of the backup programs on the
Amiga assume 512 byte blocks.  (like the current version of BRU)

If you use BRU and send the output to a pipe handler that handles
locks, then to the TAPE: setup for 1K blocks, you can get it working.

Backup programs will catch up I'm sure, once these drives become
more common in the hands of Amiga people.

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"God was able to create the world in only seven days because there
 was no installed base to consider."