[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] ICD AdIDE update

an353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Adam Benjamin) (02/05/91)

I called ICD today (Monday) and they said the AdIDE unit was NOT
shipping yet, but this week it will (I wonder when this week is?)
A tech also confirmed that there were probably going to be two
units (He thought they were the 400 and the 440) the difference
being that one was for the small 2.5 inch drives that draw power
right through the ribbon cable while the other was for external
IDE drives (of the 3.5 or larger types)
He said (the tech said) that he assumed the smaller ones would only be
sold bundled with a conner 20meg drive on rails ready to take up
residence inside your 500, while the controller for the larger drives
would be available separately.
I don't know alot about IDE, but apparently there must be enough
difference between the self powered ones (that draw power from the
ribbon cable) and the larger externally powered ones to require
2 different ICD models for the Amiga, (leave it to a PC, and look what
happens {grin})
   Adam B.
P.S. If anyone hears that these are shipping, HOLLER! and tell me who
has them.

--
    //                           | "Keyboard not responding
  \X/ an353@Cleveland.freenet.EDU|  press ESC to continue"

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/07/91)

In article <9102050311.AA14625@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> an353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:

>I called ICD today (Monday) and they said the AdIDE unit was NOT
>shipping yet, but this week it will (I wonder when this week is?)
>A tech also confirmed that there were probably going to be two
>units (He thought they were the 400 and the 440) the difference
>being that one was for the small 2.5 inch drives that draw power
>right through the ribbon cable while the other was for external
>IDE drives (of the 3.5 or larger types)
>He said (the tech said) that he assumed the smaller ones would only be
>sold bundled with a conner 20meg drive on rails ready to take up
>residence inside your 500, while the controller for the larger drives
>would be available separately.
>I don't know alot about IDE, but apparently there must be enough
>difference between the self powered ones (that draw power from the
>ribbon cable) and the larger externally powered ones to require
>2 different ICD models for the Amiga, (leave it to a PC, and look what
>happens {grin})
>   Adam B.
>P.S. If anyone hears that these are shipping, HOLLER! and tell me who
>has them.

  Briwall $534 or so, 45 megs, 3.5 inch (I think).
     1-800-638-5757

  I called Creative Computers, and apparantly they have IDE drives for
  IBM computers.

dtiberio@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/07/91)

In article <1991Feb7.045302.4984@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>In article <9102050311.AA14625@cwns9.INS.CWRU.Edu> an353@cleveland.Freenet.Edu writes:
>>   Adam B.
>>P.S. If anyone hears that these are shipping, HOLLER! and tell me who
>>has them.
>>

>  Briwall $534 or so, 45 megs, 3.5 inch (I think).
>     1-800-638-5757

  Oh, the person I talked to may have been taking a pre-order; he probably
didn't have them in stock, and I thought the price was too high (compared
to the $459 price at another dealer).