[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] The Amazing Computing PD I/O Board

ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) (02/07/91)

   I'm surprised that nobody has talked about that new hardware hack in
the lastest Amazing Computing. For roughly $70 in parts you get two serial
ports and two parallel ports, and it can be used with all Amigas. It takes
advantage of some of the I/O hardware already in the Amiga, and thus is
pretty cheap and simple to build. You have to pop out a few chips and such
to install it, but it will fit inside your 500/1000! I was wondering if any
hardware hacks out there will offer to build this thing for you, for say
$100+ to cover the labor involved. I'm handy with a soldering iron, but I
don't think I'd care to solder this one together. Seems like a good idea for
hardware hacks to offer producing PD boards (digitizers, I/O ports, LUCAS)
pre-built for a slightly higher fee. Makes you a little money and makes a
lot of Amiga owners happy.

   Tom

Why purchase a MAC when |  Amiga...The computer for _ | IBM's greatest sales
the Amiga will run MAC  | the creative mind!    _  // | tool is ignorance on
software faster?        |.......................\\//..| the consumer's part.

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (02/07/91)

In article <20945@know.pws.bull.com> ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Thomas Hill) writes:

>   I'm surprised that nobody has talked about that new hardware hack in
>the lastest Amazing Computing. For roughly $70 in parts you get two serial
>ports and two parallel ports, and it can be used with all Amigas. It takes
>advantage of some of the I/O hardware already in the Amiga, and thus is
>pretty cheap and simple to build. You have to pop out a few chips and such
>to install it, but it will fit inside your 500/1000! I was wondering if any
>hardware hacks out there will offer to build this thing for you, for say
>$100+ to cover the labor involved. I'm handy with a soldering iron, but I
>don't think I'd care to solder this one together. Seems like a good idea for
>hardware hacks to offer producing PD boards (digitizers, I/O ports, LUCAS)
>pre-built for a slightly higher fee. Makes you a little money and makes a
>lot of Amiga owners happy.
Well, not meaning to sound rude, a complete summary of the I/O board was
posted to the net a while ago by the designer himself (I believe).  I also
mentioned this hack in my post about the Lucas/Frances and Amazing 512K
hacks.

The purpose of the PD hardware is to provide the public with the hardware
at as low of a cost as possible.  This usually means just a bare board
with documentation.  It is usually done by an individual, or small group.

Building these boards up would be a great undertaking.  You could make
a full time job out of building these things, and would probably HAVE
TO to make any money.  I used to build printer interfaces and sell them
commercially.  They were a lot simpler than any of these PD hacks, but
took a long time to build between just two of us.  This too started as
a PD hack, later we built them for sale.  Then someone else came out with
a production model of similar function and we just couldn't compete.  Our
hardware was better by far, but cost more to make.  So met the demise
of our interface.  It is pretty difficult to compete with the commercial
hardware when you add the labor charges into the PD hacks.  Labor is
expensive, hence the purpose of PD... without the labor and extra charge
to keep the company going... hardware is fairly cheap!

On the other hand, hiring someone to build it for you on an individual
basis is another story....

These are just my opinions and experiences.  No flames!
* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (02/08/91)

Thomas Hill (ai065@cleveland.Freenet.Edu) writes:

   >   I'm surprised that nobody has talked about that new hardware hack in
   >the lastest Amazing Computing. For roughly $70 in parts you get two serial
   >ports and two parallel ports, and it can be used with all Amigas. It takes
[slight nit] ---------------------------------------------^^^
Not quite.  It doesn't work on the A3000's.

There was a short description of the project a while back in this or one
of the the other amiga subgroups.  Since then I've been anxiously awaiting
the February issue of AC.  I think the folks at the various book stores
around town are glad it finally arrived and I'm out of their hair.  :-}

Yes, it looks like an interesting little project.  Compared to other
multi-port boards this one has a couple of very distinct advantages.

	1) It's INEXPENSIVE!!!  $70 for 2-serial ports AND 2 PARALLEL ports.
	   I doubt Perry could make one for that little cost but then there
	   are other considerations as well (overhead, profit, support, etc)

	2) This is one of the few, if not the only, board/box that adds
	   parallel ports to the Amiga.  For the Amiga, even with an
	   expansion box (admittedly, Zorro I), a number of devices want
	   to be connected to the parallel port like framegrabbers, audio
	   digitizers, and printers.  If you have several of these devices
	   it's either unplug-and-plug or switch box time.  The first is
	   not very good especially if you don't kill the power before
	   disconnecting and reconnecting the new equipment.  The second,
	   while somewhat better than the first, has been known to be
	   frowned upon by various manufactures.  Having everything
	   available at once without having to switch cables/connectors
	   around is much better.

	3) For us A1000 owners, who else makes such an I/O expansion
	   board/box?  Even for those of us who thought they were doing
	   "the right thing" by purchasing an expansion box (instead of a
	   series of SOTS boxes) for our brand new Amiga 1000, there are
	   (and have been) VERY FEW Zorro I boards on the market.
	   Whilest some Zorro II boards will work in my expansion chassis
	   because they're half-boards the majority won't and Zorro II
	   I/O expansion boards are few and far between.  Alas, this PD
	   project won't fit in my expansion box but it certainly should
	   fill my desire for additional serial/parallel ports.

About the only disadvantage that I see is how and were to put some
"sturdily" mounted connectors to the outside world.  I'd really rather
not cut up my back panel on the ol' A1000.  There's a small matter of the
metal RF shield too.  Admittedly, I'd love to have this PD I/O board in
my expansion box.  At least it has plenty of ventilation slits that I
could slip the ribbon cables through to, maybe, a box holding the various
DB-25 or DB-9 connectors.  In the worst case I could cut some holes in ye
ol' expansion box and mount the connectors there.  There's room to do
that as opposed to an already crowded A1000 backside.

Enough of my diatribe.  I'll repeat the request for further discussion
on this subject (especially on how to get connectors connected :-).

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / CompSci Dept		DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty