[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2320 and the right monitor...

cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) (02/06/91)

I'm sure Scott Hood could answer this but to whoever knows....

I'm thinking of buying a 2320 de-interlacer and wonder what type of monitor
I should get as well as any recommendations for specific ones.  Will a
standard VGA monitor work?  They run as much as $150 less than multisyncs.
What are the resolution modes the de-interlacer supports?  Will this
determine the type of monitor I should buy?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just a program. . .ummm. . .programmer. 8-)

Recommendations accepted.

Thanks,
--
----
Claude Farmer              Convex Computer Corporation    Richardson, Texas

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb05.225006.19792@convex.com> cfarmer@convex.com (Claude Farmer) writes:
>I'm sure Scott Hood could answer this but to whoever knows....
>
>I'm thinking of buying a 2320 de-interlacer and wonder what type of monitor
>I should get as well as any recommendations for specific ones.  Will a
>standard VGA monitor work?  They run as much as $150 less than multisyncs.
>What are the resolution modes the de-interlacer supports?  Will this
>determine the type of monitor I should buy?
>
>Excuse my ignorance, I'm just a program. . .ummm. . .programmer. 8-)
>
>Recommendations accepted.
>
>Thanks,
>--
>----
>Claude Farmer              Convex Computer Corporation    Richardson, Texas
>{uiucdcs,sun,uunet,harvard,usenix}!convex!cfarmer	  Home: (214) 363-0987
>convex!cfarmer@a.cs.uiuc.EDU				  Work: (214) 497-4732

 If you want to fully all of the display modes that the Amiga is capable
of producing, then I would recommend a multisync monitor.  The best (in
my opinion) multisync is the Commodore 1950.  If you are only interested
in 31.5Khz display modes, then the cheaper Commodore 1930 VGA color
monitor would fit your bill fine.

Regards,
Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (02/08/91)

In article <18619@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:

> If you want to fully all of the display modes that the Amiga is capable
>of producing, then I would recommend a multisync monitor.  The best (in
>my opinion) multisync is the Commodore 1950.  If you are only interested
>in 31.5Khz display modes, then the cheaper Commodore 1930 VGA color
>monitor would fit your bill fine.

I have had an A2320 for 5 days now, and I can recommend the multisync I bought
for it. It's the new (1024 X 768, as opposed to 800 X 600 in the old type)
Princeton Graphics Ultra 14". It has a .28mm (according to PGS) dot pitch, can
handle everything that the 2320 can, and it's less expensive than the 1950, if
you get it mail order, which may be necessary since it's a hard monitor to
find in computer stores. One flaw I can see, however, is that toward the right
edge of the screen everything becomes slightly elongated.

Incidentally, I decided to write this followup after reading Scott's post. It
seemed to me that another recommendation was in order after Scott (a C= emplo-
yee) was recommending a C= monitor. While I do not believe that there was any
bias on his part, and could understand if there was, the uninitiated may dis-
miss it as such. IMHO the 1950 is a fine monitor for the money and does exactly
what Commodore says it does. I simply decided on the PGS monitor for the rea-
sons stated above.

Also, I must say that the 2320 is one of the best investments that I've made in
my Amiga, by far. Great work, [starting Bill and Ted impression] Scott and
other excellent Commodore hardware design dudes!

>Regards,
>Scott Hood
>
>--
>--
>Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
>  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

--
Thanx,					Internet: drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Dustin R. Christmann			Bitnet: DRXMANN@UTXVM