[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2090A help wanted

w-stevej@microsoft.UUCP (Steven KEPPEL-JONES) (02/02/91)

Is there a way to send a SCSI low-level format command through the A2090
controller?  I'd like my drive to reformat itself and map out a couple of
bad blocks.  Of course I can have the 2090 map out the blocks too, but
it's better if the drive does that.  Any ideas?

-- Steve

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/05/91)

In article <70395@microsoft.UUCP> w-stevej@microsoft.UUCP (Stephen KEPPEL-JONES) writes:
>Is there a way to send a SCSI low-level format command through the A2090
>controller?  I'd like my drive to reformat itself and map out a couple of
>bad blocks.  Of course I can have the 2090 map out the blocks too, but
>it's better if the drive does that.  Any ideas?
>
>-- Steve

Here is another query on the same hardware.  My friend just bought one of
those tiny Quantum low profile drives (105 megabytes) and is trying to
use it with his 2090a controller.  The software that came with the
controller does not seem to like the Quantum drive however.  He is unable
to prep it.  He fooled around with the mountlist and somehow got a 2.5 meg
partition to work.  He is stuck however.  Any suggestions on what to do?
Neither of us is familiar with hard drives and he is getting frustrated.
Please help?
--
Darin Sheriff.  One of the few, the proud, an Amiga 1000 owner.
A computer:  A machine that enables one to make twice as many mistakes

In article <1991Feb5.054333.20035@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) writes:
>Here is another query on the same hardware.  My friend just bought one of
>those tiny Quantum low profile drives (105 megabytes) and is trying to
>use it with his 2090a controller.  The software that came with the
>controller does not seem to like the Quantum drive however.  He is unable
>to prep it.  He fooled around with the mountlist and somehow got a 2.5 meg
>partition to work.  He is stuck however.  Any suggestions on what to do?

	Prep the RES<whatever>:.  Tell prep it's a scsi drive, custom
definition.  Cylinders: 2097, heads 1, blocks per track 98.  Remember that
the first partition will be Old Filesystem, so I advise using only around 20
cylinders for the first partition, 5 buffers.  Then set up mountlists for
the rest of it (remember to start them one higher than the first partition!)

	Reboot from floppy, and format the partition.  Then install enough of
a WB to startup your main FFS partitions.

	Those numbers are for a LP105S rev 2.3.  If the last partition is
not fully usable (format dies before the end), reduce the number of cylinders
until it works (different revs may have different amounts of space reserved
for mapping).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)