[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] clockinRAMexpansion

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (02/06/91)

The clock in my RAM expansion(A500) works like shit it does ! I can't tell
you any hardware stuff about it, but it's in a 2.5 MB exp. The hardware
thing isn't so important anyway, because it is a general experience of
mine. Most of the people I personally know in possession of RAM's
with clocks have problems.
   Everywhere I ask/hear about this the answer I get is "Uhh Hahygh, it's
got to be prublems with a virus hahum", and I know these can cause this,
but it is out of the question here. (Try turning the Amiga on after fifty
years, put a virgin Workbench 1.2 in the drive, let it boot, set the clock
and save it to the batterybackedup clock, then switching your amiga off
for 1/1000 second. Sometimes, the clock shows the right time when booting
again, but more often, it does not. If I switch it off for a short time,
only part of the info is disstorted, i.e. the date is right, but not
the hours, or the hours are wrong, but the minutes are okay. The longer I
wait, the more it is likely, that the clock replies with the famous (?)
sometimein1978 time. How can it be, that parts of the time can survive ?
It seems unlikely, it should be stored in a way that could cause this.
   I suspect that the rechargeable battery is sick like nothing else.
But I don't know. I use rendering programs a lot, having my Amiga on
for several days, so I fail to see why the battery should not be recharged.
   First, I suspected a virus. So I have tried a lot of things, but
most convincing for me A-got-to-be-clear-all-new-Workbench.
   Is it a general experience of other Amigausers, that batterybackedup
clocks don't work well ? I don't personally believe this, for was this
ever the case, it would have been quickly and easily fixed.

HELP!     HEEAELLP !     HAEELAEAEAEAEAAEALLP! I want my clock to work
right ARARARRRRHGH.  hm
.
(Huh ? is it not mail ?)

cpc@czaeap.UUCP (Chris Cebelenski) (02/08/91)

--

Ignoring other technical inaccuracies in the post above, the poster does
have the general problem well documented.  I have owned SEVERAL of the

    Chris Cebelenski	    UUCP: portal.com!gdc!aminet!czaeap!cpc
    The Red Mage	    Internet: czaeap!cpc@aminet.gdc.portal.com
			    GEnie: C.CEBELENSKI
				 // "Amiga - The way REAL people compute"
 "Better dead than mellow"     \X/
NOTE: Due to brain dead mailers, this message can *NOT* be REPLIED to, to
reach me you MUST send a NEW message.  Sorry!