[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Amiga 3000 and Harddrives.

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (02/06/91)

Here's the setup:

   Amiga 3000
      Quantum 40 meg -- SCSI address 0, LUN 0
      Seagate ST157N -- SCSI address 1, LUN 0

Now then.  When I do a cold boot, the quantum shows up fine and dandy
and everything works well BUT the Seagate doesn't show up.  When i warmboot
, however, the seagate will then show up fine and dandy.

What Causes This?  Is this just a problem with the Seagate being slow in
initializing?  Is there a problem with the way the harddrives are jumpered?
Do any other Amiga 3000 owners have two harddrives?

This doesn't bug me too much because my machine stays on most of the time,
but it is perplexing.

Now, I've also been reading about reselection here.  What is
reselection in reference to hard drives?  Should I have the
reselection on my quantum 40 meg OFF or ON?  It is currently on, and
the reselection on the Seagate is OFF.  But what is reselection?

I'm calling commdore about this tommorow.  I've got to know!

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

In article <26713@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>   Amiga 3000
>      Quantum 40 meg -- SCSI address 0, LUN 0
>      Seagate ST157N -- SCSI address 1, LUN 0
>
>Now then.  When I do a cold boot, the quantum shows up fine and dandy
>and everything works well BUT the Seagate doesn't show up.  When i warmboot
>, however, the seagate will then show up fine and dandy.
>
>What Causes This?  Is this just a problem with the Seagate being slow in
>initializing?  Is there a problem with the way the harddrives are jumpered?
>Do any other Amiga 3000 owners have two harddrives?

	This is because older seagate designs totally ignore the scsi bus until
they've read their code from the disk.  There is a soft switch in the NVRAM
on the A3000 to turn on a longer SCSI timeout during boot.  There's a PD
program to set it, eventually there'll be one from Commodore (we've been
too busy to write a prefs editor for it).

>Now, I've also been reading about reselection here.  What is
>reselection in reference to hard drives?  Should I have the
>reselection on my quantum 40 meg OFF or ON?  It is currently on, and
>the reselection on the Seagate is OFF.  But what is reselection?

	With the current released version of 2.0 for the a3000 (2.02), you
want them both off.  However, it can be hard to determine whether reselection
is on or off.  I posted a program for checking it here a few weeks ago.
The next released version of 2.0 for the a3000 will have the problem
solved.  You can check your settings by looking at your a3000 install disk.
If the script for Prephd (or whatever) has the line "reselection off",
then you're fine.  This script is the one submitted to the prod_prep
program (do NOT run this program yourself, you can wipe hard disks with
it with the wrong command).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)