[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] error validation disk

ming@casux4.bellcore.com (Ming Y. Chu) (02/07/91)

Could some one give me any suggestion on how to resolve this problem?

The events leading to this problem:
	I was download to my 2500 using Zmodom from vt100 2.9a (b)?.
At the same time, I was extracting zoo archives to df0: I encountered
problem writing to the floppy.  A requester came up, eventually I receive
a GURU.  After the 2500 came back up, I cannot delete a temporary empty
file used during the downloading.  When I try to delete it, I get a
requestor message:	volume XXX is not valid.  When I cancel it,
my shell receive the message: NOT Deleted - disk not validated.
After that, when ever the 2500 comes up, I receive the "error validation disk"
from a system requestor.

	Since, I am not very familiar with the 2500 and its utilities,
can someone provide me any suggestion on how to correct this problem.

Ming Chu

jap@convex.cl.msu.edu (Joe Porkka) (02/08/91)

ming@casux4.bellcore.com (Ming Y. Chu) writes:

>Could some one give me any suggestion on how to resolve this problem?

>The events leading to this problem:
>	I was download to my 2500 using Zmodom from vt100 2.9a (b)?.
>At the same time, I was extracting zoo archives to df0: I encountered

A disk that is "not validated" is a sick disk. It means
you can read the files on the disk, but it won't let you
write to it (deleting requires a write).

First, backup the disk that won't validate.

If there are files missing, try DiskSalv (a PD program) or
DiskDoctor (in the C: directory).

Then format, and restore.

jjj@polari.UUCP (Jeff J) (02/09/91)

I also had a disk validation problem on my 3000.  All I was doing was
dublicating a project icon.  While it was a icon from an earlier version
of workbench I don't understand why it should have messed up my almost
full 41 Meg partition.  Is this a problem with wb II?