[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000UX and chip memory...

mcafee@elmst.enet.dec.com (Steve McAfee) (02/06/91)

Can anyone describe how chip memory is used by Amiga UNIX (SVR4)?

How are the custom chips being used (if at all)?

Just curious...

-steve

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (02/09/91)

mcafee@elmst.enet.dec.com (Steve McAfee) writes:
> Can anyone describe how chip memory is used by Amiga UNIX (SVR4)?
>
> How are the custom chips being used (if at all)?

Things like this are being discussed in comp.unix.amiga.

For example, in <796@amix.commodore.com>, I wrote:
> Also, remember that experienced AmigaDos users (and probably Commodore
> marketing types, too) think of a basic A3000 (4 Meg fast, 1 Meg chip)
> as a "5 Meg" system, while Unix consideres this to be a "4 Meg"
> system.
>
> The Amiga's "chip" memory, to Unix, is like the frame buffer memory on
> a graphics card.  It is never used for the system's virtual memory.
> It is used for floppy and sound DMA, copper instructions, and
> (primarily) bitplane memory for the many virtual screens.

This isn't a particularly hardware-intensive topic, so I'm redirecting
followups to comp.unix.amiga.

					-=] Ford [=-

"But everybody wants a rock		(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
 to wind a piece of string around."	ford@amix.commodore.com
 - They Might be Giants,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
   "We want a rock"			ford@kenobi.commodore.com