[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Video project with genlocks

mjulku@ujocs.joensuu.fi (Mikko Julku) (02/08/91)

                			    	Hello all !!

	 I belong to group which has following task to do:

Man is making exercises ie. raising hands, raising leg, sitting etc on one
definite indoor place. This is filmed (signal A) and mixed to computer graphics
(signal B). The result will be signal C. So, A must be OVER B so that in the
C signal we can see graphics between his legs. The C will be recorded to SVHS
VCR. All signals will change real time, no still pictures. These results will
NOT be edited. The size and place of A in the C should be freely controlled
(the size is not very important though). Fadings, blendings shadings etc. are
not needed, no extra tricks.

As for my understanding we will need chroma blue wall (curtain) as background
for the man. The A signal from camera will be connected to chroma key
equipment and B will be genlocked to make C. So tell me if I am wrong but we
will need:

		 camera, video lights, chroma blue curtain, stands, wires etc to make A

		 computer, chroma key box, genlocker, to make B and mix A and B

		 SVHS VCR to record C

I have requested rest of group to consern Amiga B2000 PAL as the graphics
computer equipped with 40 meg drive and 2 meg of fast RAM (GVP series 2)
( I have A1000 ).

We would like to get some comments of following products and consern if they
really do what we need, price to quality, overscan and if it is PAL compatible
with PAL resolutions:

  * Video Toaster
  * Magni 4005 or better
  * G1000 or equivalent from German Videocomp GmBH
  * Colorbox (German)
  * your favorite equipment

As we have found external chroma key box very expensive, we prefer all in
one card/box system. We have reserved about US$22000 for all equipment so the
resulting picture does not need to be broadcast quality. We MUST own all the
equipments needed, we can't hire/borrow any.

                    ANY COMMENTS APPRECIATED.

This project will be done in PAL video systems, but do not hesitate to comment
if you have experiences in NTSC.

Thanks beforehand.

INTERNET ::     mjulku@ujocs.joensuu.fi

Post address

Mikko Julku
Varaslammenkatu 3
80200 Joensuu
Finland

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.171242.26595@ujocs.joensuu.fi>, mjulku@ujocs.joensuu.fi (Mikko Julku) writes:
> As for my understanding we will need chroma blue wall (curtain) as background
> for the man. The A signal from camera will be connected to chroma key
> equipment and B will be genlocked to make C. So tell me if I am wrong but we
> will need:
>
> 		 camera, video lights, chroma blue curtain, stands, wires etc to make A
>
> 		 computer, chroma key box, genlocker, to make B and mix A and B
>
> 		 SVHS VCR to record C
>

>   * Video Toaster
>   * Magni 4005 or better
>   * G1000 or equivalent from German Videocomp GmBH
>   * Colorbox (German)
>   * your favorite equipment
>
> As we have found external chroma key box very expensive, we prefer all in
> one card/box system. We have reserved about US$22000 for all equipment so the

 I don't know about PAL support, but MicroSearch in Houston, Tx has just
announced (and demonstrated) a new Chroma-Key device that does exactly
what you need, and at a very reasonable price (around $300, I recall).
They showed us a demo tape they put together and the effects were VERY
impressive, from the traditional TV weatherman in front of an Amiga
generated map to a couple of MicroSearch employees frolicing amongst some
nice ray-traced doric columns. All in all a very impressive box. It's
supposed to be shipping in 2 weeks; the number of finished and unfinished
boards, shipping boxes, etc in the back suggest that this is a realistic
figure.
   MicroSearch
   9896 SW Freeway
   Houston, Tx 77074
   (713) 988-2818

(I have no affiliation with MicroSearch other than as a normally satisfied
customer...)