[net.space] wobbling earth

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:king@Kestrel (07/30/85)

From: king@Kestrel (Dick King)

    >          A book I was reading recently mentioned  that  over  time  the
    >angle  of  the plane of the ecliptic changes.  The consequence is that
    >the latitude of the tropics also move.  While this  makes  sense,  the
    >book  also  stated that there is no formula which describes the motion
    >over  time.  Is  this  really  true?  The  context  was  that  certain
    >archeological  sites  are  solstice  oriented  and could be accurately
    >dated if it was known in what year a Tropic was at  X  latitude.  Just
    >curious.
    >
    >                                        jim@tycho

	    Wrongo.  The phenomenon you're referring to is called the
    "precession of the equinox" and the values have been calculated *very*
    precisely.  Roger Bacon first pointed out the phenomenon is the 13th
    Century, and showed that if the Julian calendar were not changed, then
    sometime in the 30th Century Easter would occur in midsummer (the rate of
    precession is about .75 days/century).  The solution he proposed was the one
    adopted in the Gregorian calendar, in which Leap Years are not held in
    century years and are held every 400th year: so there was no leap year in
    1900, there will be one in 2000, but there won't be one in any of 2100,
    2200, 2300.

wrongo.  Precession of the equinoxes does indeed occur, having the
effect you describe, but it would not affect archaeology.  PofE
describes changes in the portion of Earth's orbit that corresponds to
given seasons, so different constellations would be visible in the
winter night's sky in different millenia.

The phenomenon referred to in the original submission also occurs; at
times the axial tilt has varied from 20.6 degrees to 22.  (If my
figures are wrong, forgive me.)  This would render obselete things like
Stonehedge that can detect the first day of winter.  If the axial tilt
is low at the moment, the monument's first day of winter point may not
be approached.  If it is high, it may be exceeded (and hit twice,
shortly before and after the actual solstice).

-dick