[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] The Amiga Tape Drive for A3000UX

rodney@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Rodney Campbell) (02/08/91)

	My workplace is considering buying an Amiga 3000UX and I see that an
optional QIC-150 tape drive is almost mandatory if one wants software
distributions - either this or a CD-ROM.
	My question is - If I buy one of these Tape Drives (A3070)
and/or the Amiga CD-ROM, can I use this drive also on a SparcStation
(SS1+, IPC or SLC) and/or the Solbourne Series 4/5 SPARC machines. i.e. is
the QIC-150 a standard SCSI device and can I get/use the SUN drivers to
talk to it.
	Basically I want a transportable QIC-150 drive for all of our
machines here anyway so I would like to use that same drive.
	Will this be possible.... Any Comments...........
				      	Rodney.....

Rodney Campbell	- Telecom Aust |MHSnet: rodney@solar.card.inpu.oz.au
Integrated Network Products    |Snail : 8th Floor, 91 York Street, Sydney 2000.
Customer Applications Research |  or PO Box A226, Sydney South 2000, Australia.
        & Development          |Phone : +61 (0)2 364 3346   Fax: +61 2 262 3813

ford@amix.commodore.com (Mike "Ford" Ditto) (02/10/91)

rodney@solar.card.inpu.oz.au (Rodney Campbell) writes:
> 	My question is - If I buy one of these Tape Drives (A3070)
> and/or the Amiga CD-ROM, can I use this drive also on a SparcStation
> (SS1+, IPC or SLC) and/or the Solbourne Series 4/5 SPARC machines. i.e. is
> the QIC-150 a standard SCSI device and can I get/use the SUN drivers to
> talk to it.

SCSI I Tape drives are not sufficiently standardized that you can mix
and match systems and drives, but there is a chance that it would
work.  It's certainly standard from a SCSI point of view (although I
forget at the moment whether it has "Macintosh" or "standard" SCSI
connectors).  It's just the command set that's questionable.  The raw
drive is made by Caliper, perhaps they would know for sure about
compatibility with your particular systems and software.

					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@amix.commodore.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		uunet!cbmvax!ditto
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ford@kenobi.commodore.com