[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Problem with Amiga 3000 Hard Drives

gbothe@desire.wright.edu (02/05/91)

I have a serious problem with my Amiga 3000.  I have TWO Quantum-PRO 52S hard
drives (one that came with the Amiga 3000. and one I bought brand new).  The
problem is when I first turn on my computer.  The second hard drive does not
show up, I have to turn my computer back off and on (before the hard drives
spin down) to be able to see the second hard drive.  I though it was a timeout
problem, so I got the SCSIPrefs program which enabled me to increase the
SCSI timeout time (in the battery backed RAM).  Unfortunately, this did not
help at all...  The problem still exists.  The Quantum that came with my 3000
is revision 5.3, the one I bought is 5.6E...  That should not be the problem,
though...  CAN ANYONE HELP?

+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| Greg Bothe                     |           **   **  ** ******   ***    **   |
+--------------------------------+      //  ****  ******   **   **      ****  |
| GBOTHE@DESIRE.WRIGHT.EDU       |     //  **  ** ******   **   **     **  ** |
|           -or-                 | \\ //   ****** **  **   **   **  ** ****** |
| USER_442@DAYVC.DAYTON.SAIC.COM |  \X/    **  ** **  **   **   **  ** **  ** |
|                                |         **  ** **  ** ******   **** **  ** |
+--------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

I would appreciate a reply, even if you have a simple answer...  Thanks...

In article <1991Feb4.211410.2434@desire.wright.edu> gbothe@desire.wright.edu writes:
>I have a serious problem with my Amiga 3000.  I have TWO Quantum-PRO 52S hard
>drives (one that came with the Amiga 3000. and one I bought brand new).  The
>problem is when I first turn on my computer.  The second hard drive does not
>show up, I have to turn my computer back off and on (before the hard drives
>spin down) to be able to see the second hard drive.  I though it was a timeout
>problem, so I got the SCSIPrefs program which enabled me to increase the
>SCSI timeout time (in the battery backed RAM).  Unfortunately, this did not
>help at all...  The problem still exists.  The Quantum that came with my 3000
>is revision 5.3, the one I bought is 5.6E...  That should not be the problem,
>though...  CAN ANYONE HELP?

	Very strange.  I assume they're set to different addresses.  I advise
double-checking your termination (one drive at the end of the cable should
be terminated).  I doubt that's it.  Double-check the jumper settings (those
can cause things like no spin-up until a start-unit is received.  Beyond that
I have no idea, other than perhaps the drive has a problem.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Michael D Fischer) (02/10/91)

I seem to have the same problem:

When I got my A3000 I installed my Seagate ST-157N from my A500 in it.
The 157N takes much longer than the quantum to spin up.  After the
A3000 is booted I have to reboot so that the 157N is recognized!

Mike
-        Michael D. Fischer       |   greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu   -
-      S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook    |   Michael.Fischer@sunysb.edu        -

874226@watt.usask.ca (Shawn Switenky) (02/11/91)

There are a few programs out there that will change the time allowed for
drives to spin up when you turn your machine on.  The two I know of are
BATMEM and SCSIPref.  But I don't know where to get either of them.
Does anybody know of a ftp site where I can find these programs, and
the path to these files?

Shawn Switenky
874226@watt.usask.ca