[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Need appletalk

sgate@stsci.EDU (Steve Southgate) (02/08/91)

I'm getting an Amiga 3000 and I need to tie in to our Appletalk network of
macs and printers.  I mainly want to be able to use the printers, but
Mac emulation would be good too.

Which product would be best to use. AMAX-II+ or an appletalk board?

If the AMAX-II+ works and will let me access the network, then that's fine.

If the network access is not good, then I'd go with an appletalk board.

So, question:

	How's AMAX-II+?

	What are the names, manufacturers of Appletalk boards?

Thanks much

Steve

--
Steve Southgate                         (301) 338-4772
Space Telescope Science Institute	sgate@stsci.edu

stevef@bug.UUCP (Steven R Fordyce) (02/11/91)

Steve Southgate writes:
>I'm getting an Amiga 3000 and I need to tie in to our Appletalk network of
>macs and printers.  I mainly want to be able to use the printers, but
>Mac emulation would be good too.
>	What are the names, manufacturers of Appletalk boards?

DigiFeX Corporation makes Appletalk compatible hardware and software.  For the
2000/3000, DigiFeX sells its MultiPort board and Interact software for $330.
For the 500 (it also works with the 1000, but it isn't designed for it)
Interact hardware and software is $300.

The MultiPort board has one printer port, one RS232 port on a 9 pin D-sub, and
one RS422 port.  The MultiPort board can be bought separately for $250 with
all of the drivers needed to use the extra ports.  For $50 more, there is a
SCSI option, which makes the MultiPort board one of the faster hard disk
controllers.

Interact software makes the RS422 port AppleTalk compatible, and allows
Amiga's to pass messages, files, share hard disks, and use Postscript
laserprinters.  At this time Interact doesn't allow communication between
Amiga's and Mac's, but they can be on the same network.

If you couldn't tell, I am associated with DigiFeX.

				     Steven R Fordyce
				 uunet!sequent!ether!stevef

DigiFeX, 610 Main Street, Oregon City, Oregon  97062, USA
For customer service, call (503)656-8818, FAX (503)656-8903