[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] syquest hard drive

carl@sundae2.DAB.GE.COM (Carl Wilson) (01/29/91)

Hi folks,
I am looking in to getting a SYQUEST removable harddrive.  Can anyone out
there please give me some information on the following.
1> Is it worth the money
2> How easy is it to install
3> How is it to use
4> Are you satisfied with it
5> Can you recommend a better buy

                                                 Thank you.

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (01/29/91)

In article <10524@ge-dab.ge.com>, carl@sundae2.DAB.GE.COM (Carl Wilson) writes:
> Hi folks,
> I am looking in to getting a SYQUEST removable harddrive.  Can anyone out
> there please give me some information on the following.
> 1> Is it worth the money
> 2> How easy is it to install
> 3> How is it to use
> 4> Are you satisfied with it
> 5> Can you recommend a better buy

My answers are:
1> Very subjective.  If you need a 44MB removable hard disk, yes, it's worth
   the money.  If you plan to use it for backups, perhaps a tape drive'd be
   better.
2> It's a SCSI interface, so the 2090, 2091, GVP, HardFrame or (hopefully)
   any SCSI host adaptor should work.
3> When you change disks, you'll have to "DiskChange" the drive.  I'm not
   sure if 2.0 supports FFS on removable media (no, wait, it does, since
   you can have FFS floppies), but most of the SCSI interfaces don't support
   a "media has been changed" signal like floppies do.
4> I don't have one, so I can't answer (I use tape for backup).
5> I think IOmega has a Bernoulli box which is SCSI-based now.  Whether it's
   a better buy, I don't know.  It's a subjective call.

>                                                  Thank you.

You're welcome.
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|                                                                          |
|   "Everybody has to deviate from the norm...."                           |
|                                  - Rush                                  |
|   "I guess that makes me a deviant!"                                     |
|                                  - Me!                                   |
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------`

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (01/30/91)

In article <2249@tmiuv0.uucp>, rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:

>> 3> How is it to use
> 3> When you change disks, you'll have to "DiskChange" the
>    drive.  I'm not sure if 2.0 supports FFS on removable
>    media (no, wait, it does, since you can have FFS
>    floppies), but most of the SCSI interfaces don't
>    support a "media has been changed" signal like floppies
>    do.

GVP's SCSI software supports automatic DiskChange for
removable media under both OFS and FFS (1.2, 1.3 and 2.0).

>> 5> Can you recommend a better buy
> 5> I think IOmega has a Bernoulli box which is SCSI-based
>    now.  Whether it's a better buy, I don't know.  It's a
>    subjective call.

The 20 and 40 meg Bernoullis I know of are slightly slower
than the SyQuest, but they appear to be much more reliable.
You may also want to give the 40 meg Ricoh drive a try.

Ralph

rhhageme@eos.ncsu.edu (RICHARD HERM HAGEMEYER) (01/31/91)

I am currently using an Amiga 500 with a SyQuest drive (the 44 mb one)
with a Trumpcard 500.  The Trumpcard says that it supports removable
media and that no "diskchange" command is necessary.  I had no problems
setting up the drive and the SCSI controller.  Trumpcard has included a
setup disk and it will recognize the SyQuest drive as a drive it can
control (which, by the way, is the only removable media drive that the
Trumpcard already recognizes I believe).  I was up and running with my
system in a very short time, and so far, have been very pleased with the
results of my setup.  When looking for a controller, make sure that it
says "supports removable media."  These controllers don't need the
diskchange command because that is handled inside the hardware.  Hope
this helps.

-Richard

mpierce@ewu.UUCP (Mathew W. Pierce) (02/06/91)

In article <10524@ge-dab.ge.com>, carl@sundae2.DAB.GE.COM (Carl Wilson) writes:
> Hi folks,
> I am looking in to getting a SYQUEST removable harddrive.  Can anyone out
> there please give me some information on the following.
> 1> Is it worth the money
> 2> How easy is it to install
> 3> How is it to use
> 4> Are you satisfied with it
> 5> Can you recommend a better buy
>
>                                                  Thank you.

I've been using a SyQuest for about 6 months now and am very satisfied.  I
was considering buying a 40 meg quantum for about $400, but I got the SyQuest
for $650 instead (new) and due to its removable media and relatively speediness
I consider it well worth the money.

It was pretty easy to install - just pop the lid, remove your floppies,
bolt it into the bay, replace the floppy and lid and your ready to go!

The only problem that I have is that I can't use the A2091 controller, it
won't let me use the drive, so I use a WordSync instead.  Also, Supra's
diskchange command doesn't work, so I use the regular dos command.

Hope this helps

Mathew Pierce

kblohm@pro-graphics.cts.com (Kathy Blohm) (02/12/91)

The Supra controller supports the Syquest drives but requires a diskchange
command when changing cartridges. The ICD automatically detects the cartridge
change. The 2091, last I checked, does not support the Syquest.
-- Kathy Blohm

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: kblohm@pro-graphics.cts.com        | PcPursuitable @ NJNBR
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!kblohm          | Starlinkable
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!kblohm@nosc.mil | 24hrs/day, 7 days/week