[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HELP!!! WITH SIDECAR HARD-DRIVE

dodd@uncw.UUCP (Mike Dodd) (02/11/91)

Please help me make some decisions about the purchase of a proper
harddrive for the Amiga/SideCar.  If you have any info which would
help to make my purchase as painless as possible please mail me
what you know.

I know NOTHING about harddrives and have read everything the
Sidecar manual has about it.  Apparently - I need to buy a HARDCARD
and cannot use more than 20Mb.

I want to partition off 1/2 for the Amiga and the rest for the
IBM side.

Is there a brand that I should go with in particular.

What is the RLL and the other 'strange' letters after the Harddrives.

What about 8 bit, 16 bit, etc.

Thanks for any help you might be able to lend me.

Mike

In article <983@uncw.UUCP> dodd@uncw.UUCP (Mike Dodd) writes:
>Please help me make some decisions about the purchase of a proper
>harddrive for the Amiga/SideCar.
>
>  Apparently - I need to buy a HARDCARD
>and cannot use more than 20Mb.

There's no limit of 20 MB. But indeed, I know of nobody who has
used bigger partitions than the old 32 MB limit on his sidecar.
Anyone have experiences?

>I want to partition off 1/2 for the Amiga and the rest for the
>IBM side.

Do that. No problem.

>What is the RLL and the other 'strange' letters after the Harddrives.

RLL is a method to get ca. 50 % more capacity out of a given drive.
But after what I heard over the years, you better *avoid* RLL!
Nobody could tell me details until now, but fact is, about half
of the people with RLLs have big troubles (read/write errors over
and over), the over half is quite lucky and lives happily.

>What about 8 bit, 16 bit, etc.

The sidecar is an 8-bit architecture, you can't use 16-bit controllers.