[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Expanding 2620's RAM

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (01/28/91)

Hi,
    Not long ago, I bought a USED A2620 board with 2MB of 32 bit RAM.
It has been working really nice so far, and I really like.  Though,
since I got it used, I didnt get any manuals or anything.  Now, I have
heard that it is possible to expand the board to X ammount of RAM.
(Well, there is some empty space there that I think is for memory)
Anyways, what I want to know is how do I go around expanding my
memory?  And how much can I expand it to?  (I would rather just buy
the chips and install them by myself rather than pay $$$ for somebody
else to do it for me)

Thanks for any replies...

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (01/31/91)

In article <18286@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <14425@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
>
>You can add 2 Megs of DRAM to the A2620, for a total of 4MB.  The memory type
>is 256K x 4 at 100ns or better, in the ZIP package.  Generically, 44256Z-10 is
>a common part number; the Toshiba parts I have here on this board are called
>TC514256AZ-10.  These parts need to be soldered in, as I mentioned.  Then you
>add a shunt block, or otherwise electrically connect the terminals of J301,
>which tells the autoconfig logic that you're now 4MB rather than 2MB.  If all
>goes well, it works.
>
>There's a simple memory test built into the A26x0 ROM monitor.  You start up
>your system with the two mouse buttons held down.  Then type "M".  Once in the
>monitor, you can run the memory test with the command:
>
>	T 200000 600000
>
>for 4MB of memory.  I usually run it once with, once without, the I-Cache turned
>on (the monitor starts up with it off, you type "hc 1" to turn it on).

Is there such a test built into the A3000 somewhere?  I might be having memory
problems (lots of ..04 and ..03 gurus) and would like to know for sure.

--
Colin DeWolfe
dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca

tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) (01/31/91)

	In article <18286@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
> >In article <14425@chaph.usc.edu> aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:
> >
> > [info on upgrading 2620 to 4 megs deleted]
> >
> >There's a simple memory test built into the A26x0 ROM monitor.  You start up
> >your system with the two mouse buttons held down.  Then type "M".  Once in the
> >monitor, you can run the memory test with the command:
> >
> >	T 200000 600000
> >
> >for 4MB of memory.  I usually run it once with, once without, the I-Cache turned
> >on (the monitor starts up with it off, you type "hc 1" to turn it on).

I tried to get at this monitor and it doesn't work. I'm sure I'm
just doing something silly wrong, so perhaps you could give
detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to get at it...

I once saw on the back of a box of microwave french fries the
instructions "SET YOUR MICROWAVE TO 3:30 MINUTES (3 1/2
ANALOG)". I think I need instructions at this level :-)

------///------------------------------------------------------------
     /// Tyler "Ty" Sarna            E-Mail: tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu
 \\\///          "F U CN RD THS THN U 2 CN B A CMPTR PRGRMR"
--\XX/---------------------------------------------------------------

In article <43249@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:

>I tried to get at this monitor and it doesn't work.

When you type "M", your fingers must still be holding down the mouse buttons.
And that's M, not m.

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (02/02/91)

In article <18371@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <43249@nigel.ee.udel.edu> tsarna@polar.bowdoin.edu (Tyler Sarna) writes:
>
>>I tried to get at this monitor and it doesn't work.
>
>When you type "M", your fingers must still be holding down the mouse buttons.
>And that's M, not m.
>
>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

...and the test command should be "t", not "T"...
The second address should be changed if you have 2MB instead of 4MB.

Tommy Petersson
etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se

jita@polaris.utu.fi (Marko Katajisto) (02/14/91)

In article <18371@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>When you type "M", your fingers must still be holding down the mouse buttons.
>And that's M, not m.

Where the hell you guys dig all these 'secret commands', there was no
description in manuals, at least not in those which came with my A2620...
Yes, a few monitor commands are viewed by i(nfo?)) byt there seems to be
undocumented commands too. Dave might know these by heart but what about
others...? Hacking them out from A2620's eprom? :)

>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

PS. It sounds funny but a year ago when I bought my A2620 it's offical list
    price here in Finland was more than you have to pay for 25 MHz A3000 with
    A1950 in USA...
    And somebody still wonders why cheap 'made in taiwan' pc-clones sell
    better here :(

--
Jita - Marko Katajisto    University of Turku  Department of Computer Science
   jita@utu.fi  jita@nic.funet.fi  jita@firien.bitnet  Tel: +358 21 325910