[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A1000 - Joystick Port 2 dead

tomk@bert.ER.Bell.CA (Tommy Kanary) (02/10/91)

Games Port 2 has died on my Amiga 1000 for the second time in the last
year? The last time I had it fixed by a dealer for $100+. This is
getting expensive. Bearing in mind I have only had the system apart
to put in a Spirit IN1000 1.5 MB daughter board upgrade, I have
the following questions to ye all hardware guys.

	1) Is this failure usually caused by one IC going?
	If so what one? If so is it solder in or a socket?
	If so is there a replacement part number? Is it
	one of these Commodore special chips or can I get
	replacements at a electronics shop?

	2) What is causing these failures. The Amiga is used
	as the neighbourhood games machine so lots of young kids
	are yanking out joysticks and plugging them back in many
	times a week when the system is powered up. I have seen
	some sort of buffer boxes on sale which plug into a games
	port on one side, with a joystick and mouse port on the other,
	which will allow both devices to be plugged in all the time,
	switching between them. Are these a good investment?

If anyone could suggest a $10 IC swap fix the Amiga players
on this street will thank you. I never noticed before but almost
all action / arcade games require port 2. Why?
--
Tom Kanary (416) 978-1303
Engineering & Research, Bell Canada

bacon@zeus.unomaha.edu (Infomaniac) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb9.163032.11081@bert.ER.Bell.CA>, tomk@bert.ER.Bell.CA
 (Tommy Kanary) writes:

> Games Port 2 has died on my Amiga 1000 for the second time in the last
> year? The last time I had it fixed by a dealer for $100+. This is
> getting expensive. Bearing in mind I have only had the system apart
> to put in a Spirit IN1000 1.5 MB daughter board upgrade, I have
> the following questions to ye all hardware guys.

I have had the same problem, except my second games port has been very jittery
to the point of being useless.  It appears that it is the CIA chip that is
causing the problem (according to those who know about hard ware things around
here).  We are STILL waiting for C- to deliver their CIA's to the local distri-
butor so I haven't had mine fixed yet.  Will let anyone know how it goes once
it is.

According to these same friends, the CIA chip is one that frequently blows out,
as evidenced in the fact that you have had this happen before.

I have another question that is a software+hardware related question.  Last
fall I purchased the Centaur's World Atlas, but could never get it to load.  I
just get a shell prompt a little while after trying to begin.  My guess is that
1) either the way I am configed on my WB disk is interfering with the way that
the Atlas program wants to set up or (the more likely choice) 2) the program
makes some kind of calls to the CIA chip, and the chip, being on the flaky side
at the present, doesn't respond.  What do you think?

Russ Bacon

QUESTIONS/ADDITIONS/DELETIONS/CONFUSIONS/ABLUTIONS/OBFUSCATIONS WELCOMED!!!!
Gee, Toto, This sure doesn't like Kansas!                      //  Have You
                                                              //    Tried
Russ Bacon                                                \\ //       an
Internet - Bacon@zeus.unomaha.edu                          \\/      Amiga?
Bitnet   - Bacon@UNOMA1