[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 19200baud amiga

cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) (02/05/91)

hi

i've got my amiga 1000 at work wired (pins 2,3,7) to a sparc station.
the setup works great at 9600 baud, but i would really like to run
things at 19,200 (i'm greedy, eh). here's the problem:

when i cat a large file i get overflow errors &
when i try to d/u load i get bad CRC's. i'm using Atalk III and
unix based send zmodem (sz 3.07)

any suggestions. again this setup works fine at 9600 baud.

thanks

chris

 |----------------------|----------------------                     |
 |the world is spam and |                                           |
 | we are but the key   | Spamg*d, lord of potted meat              |
 |--------|-------------|    cshort@nmsu.edu                        |
          |                        New Mexico State University      |
          |               Computing Research Labratory              |
          |      genebank, bionet, nethacker             |-------------------|
          |Read the Avon paperback                       |SpamKey productions|
          |                     -------------------------|-------------------|

In article <4741@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>In Msg-ID: <CSHORT.91Feb4170947@aiaia.nmsu.edu>, cshort@nmsu.edu
>                                               (Spmg*d (chris)) writes:
>|hi
>|
>|i've got my amiga 1000 at work wired (pins 2,3,7) to a sparc station.
>|the setup works great at 9600 baud, but i would really like to run
>|things at 19,200 (i'm greedy, eh). here's the problem:
>|
>|when i cat a large file i get overflow errors &
>|when i try to d/u load i get bad CRC's. i'm using Atalk III and
>|unix based send zmodem (sz 3.07)
>|
>|any suggestions. again this setup works fine at 9600 baud.
>|

>    The problem is the serial.device. I have heard that it was supposed to
> be okay at 19.2K baud tho.

	I use 19.2 all the time, through a direct ROLM hookup
though, no modem. I have never had a problem, but then my
experience is only with an 020 and 030. It is possible that the
68000 isn't fast enough to handle it. Make sure nothing else is
running in the background, competing for time.
	-- Ethan

Q:	What's the definition of a Quayle?

A:	Two right wings and no backbone.

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (02/11/91)

Chris> i've got my amiga 1000 at work wired (pins 2,3,7) to a sparc station.
Chris> the setup works great at 9600 baud, but i would really like to run
Chris> things at 19,200 (i'm greedy, eh). here's the problem:

Chris> when i cat a large file i get overflow errors &
Chris> when i try to d/u load i get bad CRC's. i'm using Atalk III and
Chris> unix based send zmodem (sz 3.07)

Chris> any suggestions. again this setup works fine at 9600 baud.

You either need to enable XON/XOFF flow control on both the Amiga and the
Sparc Station (yuk) or enable hardware flow control on both.

NOTE: Enabling hardware flow control on the Sparc Station's serial port
requires setting some flags and recompiling the kernal.  If you have a set
of Sun manuals, check the admin section on setting up a modem for details.
(You'll also have to wire up additional pins for hardware flow control.  2,
3 and 7 restrict you to XON/XOFF.)

	Cheers,
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb10.232155.19137@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
> In article <4741@mindlink.UUCP> Harvey_Taylor@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
> >In Msg-ID: <CSHORT.91Feb4170947@aiaia.nmsu.edu>, cshort@nmsu.edu
> >                                               (Spmg*d (chris)) writes:
> >|hi
> >|
> >|i've got my amiga 1000 at work wired (pins 2,3,7) to a sparc station.
> >|the setup works great at 9600 baud, but i would really like to run
> >|things at 19,200 (i'm greedy, eh). here's the problem:
> >|
> >|when i cat a large file i get overflow errors &
> >|when i try to d/u load i get bad CRC's. i'm using Atalk III and
> >|unix based send zmodem (sz 3.07)
> >|
> >|any suggestions. again this setup works fine at 9600 baud.
> >|

> >    The problem is the serial.device. I have heard that it was supposed to
> > be okay at 19.2K baud tho.
>
> 	I use 19.2 all the time, through a direct ROLM hookup
> though, no modem. I have never had a problem, but then my
> experience is only with an 020 and 030. It is possible that the
> 68000 isn't fast enough to handle it. Make sure nothing else is
> running in the background, competing for time.
> 	-- Ethan

 I have setup an Amiga 2000 (unaccelerated) with a USRobotics HST and Atalk-III
at 19200 baud with 8 colours and no problems. The trick is to enable RTS/CTS
handshaking and make sure the modem is doing the same.

 In the case of connecting to a SPARCstation you have to make sure the cable
you are using supports the RTS and CTS lines plus the SPARCstation has to
have RTS/CTS handshaking enable. This might slow things down a little but not
as much as the CRC errors.

Darrell Grainger