[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Want CDTV info. CORRECTION!

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (02/12/91)

In article <91040.095300JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, I said:

>>I remember hearing somewhere that CD's had to be placed in a tray to be
>>played in it, is that just for CD-ROMS or for audio CD's too?
>
>Nope.  It has normal CD insertion just like any other CD player.

The information I posted above is INCORRECT. I just learned that CDTV
DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)

(Enter soapbox mode)

Why did C= do this??  If CD players can play CD's perfectly well
without caddies, why require them with CDTV?  Reqiring them will be
a nuisance for day-to-day use, and will add to the price of buying
new software for the unit.  If the caddy is included with a new CD,
it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
and incur the same expense.  Can someone at C= please explain why
caddies are needed?  I'll shut up if there is a good reason, but
so far I have been unable to think of one (EXCEPT that if you want
little kids to use the unit, a caddy will keep dirty fingers off
the CD surface...  but wouldn't a supervising adult be needed to
power the unit on/off and run the program anyway?)

Thanks for any info,

                                                            Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.       || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214       || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu         --------------------------------------||
||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu (02/13/91)

JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> Writes:

[stuff...deleted]

>DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
>can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
>at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
>
>(Enter soapbox mode)

[more stuff...deleted]

>it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well I don't think that you will need more than one caddy.  Just
  swap out one disk for another.  Just like 3" CD adapters, you'll only
  need one for all of your CD's.  As to why they did it, probably cost of
  adding a tray (could be wrong though)

>Thanks for any info,
>
>                                                            Kurt
>--
>|| Kurt Tappe  (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
>|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.      || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
>|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214      || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu        --------------------------------------||
>||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||

                                                    Ajai

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (02/13/91)

In article <91043.120405AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu>, AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> Writes:
>
> [stuff...deleted]
>
> >DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
> >can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
> >at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
> >
> >(Enter soapbox mode)
>
> [more stuff...deleted]
>

> >it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Well I don't think that you will need more than one caddy.  Just
>   swap out one disk for another.  Just like 3" CD adapters, you'll only
>   need one for all of your CD's.  As to why they did it, probably cost of
>   adding a tray (could be wrong though)

This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but every CD-ROM player I have ever
seen uses one of these trays.  I suppose the tracking is a bit more accurate,
which would be important when dealing with computer data.

Of course I could be completely off the mark with this one....

> >|| Kurt Tappe  (215) 363-9485  || With.   Without.   And who'll       ||
> >|| 184 W. Valley Hill Rd.      || deny it's what the fighting's       ||
> >|| Malvern, PA 19355-2214      || all about?    -  Pink Floyd         ||
> >||  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu        --------------------------------------||
> >||  jkt100@psuvm.bitnet jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1  QLink: KurtTappe ||
>
>                                                     Ajai
RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) (02/13/91)

>The information I posted above is INCORRECT. I just learned that CDTV
>DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
>can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
>at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)

I wouldn't be concerned with Commodore's decision to place the CD's in a
tray.  One tray ought to be suitable for all of the CD/TV discs,
correct?  So it is a one time fee of 6 dollars that consumers will have
to pay--or Commodore may even include  a tray.
    Question:  Is is a tray as such that Pioneer, etc. use for 6 disc
players?  Then I would consider it a benefit, as I appreciate the 6 disc
tray insertion method rather than inserting/ejecting a disc everytime I
want to hear a different CD.

Chad

slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) (02/13/91)

In article <Abi8KWO00UhBI4Pndk@andrew.cmu.edu> cy0q+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chad O. Yoshikawa) writes:
>>The information I posted above is INCORRECT. I just learned that CDTV
>>DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
>>can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
>>at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
>
>I wouldn't be concerned with Commodore's decision to place the CD's in a
>tray.  One tray ought to be suitable for all of the CD/TV discs,
>correct?  So it is a one time fee of 6 dollars that consumers will have
>to pay--or Commodore may even include  a tray.
>    Question:  Is is a tray as such that Pioneer, etc. use for 6 disc
>players?  Then I would consider it a benefit, as I appreciate the 6 disc
>tray insertion method rather than inserting/ejecting a disc everytime I
>want to hear a different CD.

I would say no, it is probably like the other cd drives for PCs like the
one for apple. I still don't see it as a big problem, though. Heck, I
just want to see one.

Scott Fields	slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu		University of Oklahoma

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (02/13/91)

In article <1991Feb13.011431.10331@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>
   slfields@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Scott L Fields) writes:

>I would say no, it is probably like the other cd drives for PCs like the
>one for apple. I still don't see it as a big problem, though. Heck, I
>just want to see one.

The ones I've seen have convinced me that regular CD players should be
manufactured with such a caddy system.  The caddy is basically the same
old "jewel box" that audio CDs come in, but it has metal shutter on the
bottom and a place for the drive mechanism hub to grab & spin the disk.
If each CD had one of these, scratched disks would cease to be a problem.

As for those people concerned about the $6 price tag, yes, only one caddy
will do since you can easily take one disk out and put another it.

Personally, I'd have a few caddies, just for the most commonly used disks.

Of course, it's possible that the disks will come in caddies instead of
just the plain old jewel boxes.

Greg
--
       Greg Harp       |"How I wish, how I wish you were here.  We're just two
greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu|running over the same ground.  What have we found?
  s609@cs.utexas.edu   |The same old fears.  Wish you were here." - Pink Floyd

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (02/14/91)

In a previous article, itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) says:

>This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but every CD-ROM player I have ever
>seen uses one of these trays.  I suppose the tracking is a bit more accurate,
>which would be important when dealing with computer data.
>
>Of course I could be completely off the mark with this one....

Not at all - That's exactly why it uses a tray.
--
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu             ///
I'd rather be SKIING!!            |       ///  /\

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (02/14/91)

AXN100@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> JKT <JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu> Writes:
>
> [stuff...deleted]
>
> >DOES require that every CD be placed in a special "caddy" before it
> >can be inserted into the unit.  These caddies cost around $6 apiece
> >at the local Radio Shack (so I am told.)
> >
> >(Enter soapbox mode)
>
> [more stuff...deleted]
>

> >it will add $5 to the price.  If not, you have to buy it separately
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Well I don't think that you will need more than one caddy.  Just
>   swap out one disk for another.  Just like 3" CD adapters, you'll only
>   need one for all of your CD's.  As to why they did it, probably cost of
>   adding a tray (could be wrong though)

My understanding of the matter that because CD's are not as impervious
to damage as was once claimed there is some danger of corruption.

While this is not important on a music disk, it could be catastrophic
on a CD-Rom (even with error-checking). Therefore these holders will help
protect the surface of the CD-Rom.

I havbe to admit, it would be nice if they used the same holders as some
of the other vendors around. I was reading recently about how different
drives have different holders, adding to the all round confusion.

--
**      Official Signature for Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)!
** sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz   || Disclaimers are for sick societies

jmpiazza@acsu.buffalo.edu (Joseph M. Piazza) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb13.175157.29991@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>In a previous article, itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) says:
>>
>>This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but every CD-ROM player I have ever
>>seen uses one of these trays.  I suppose the tracking is a bit more accurate,
>>which would be important when dealing with computer data.
>>
>>Of course I could be completely off the mark with this one....
>
>Not at all - That's exactly why it uses a tray.

	Correct.  The alternative -- designing the CDTV to work without such
a tray -- would increase the price considerably (a few hundred dollars?)  Not a
desirable feature for a low cost CD-ROM system.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ...!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu