[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Disk drives

elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) (02/01/91)

Hi.  I currently have a rather tired old A500, with an almost new (Commodore)
second drive.  The internal drive appears to be getting a little bit fussy
about which protected disks it will boot, and I was just wondering if it is
possible (via some small hardware hack) to make the machine boot from df1:
instead of df0:.  I've heard that the Pheonix motherboard for the A1000 has
this capability via a switch.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks, Elson
--
Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (02/01/91)

In article <2238@otc.otca.oz> elson@otc.UUCP (Elson Markwick) writes:
>Hi.  I currently have a rather tired old A500, with an almost new (Commodore)
>second drive.  The internal drive appears to be getting a little bit fussy
>about which protected disks it will boot, and I was just wondering if it is
>possible (via some small hardware hack) to make the machine boot from df1:
>instead of df0:.  I've heard that the Pheonix motherboard for the A1000 has
>this capability via a switch.  Any suggestions anyone?
>
>Thanks, Elson
>--
>Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
>OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson
>Ph: 02 287 3142|       ALF         |Internet: elson%otc.otca.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
>Fax:02 287 3299|                   |Snail:  GPO Box 7000, Sydney 2001, Australia
I have done this on a 2000 and it was "fairly" easy to do.  I don't know if your 500 has it's chips socketed or not but if not there is a PIA chip that does the"select" of df0:, df1, etc...  All I did was pull the chip out, lift the two legs, and then wrap some wire-wrap wire around each leg and insert the opposite end into there opposite holes they came from... Whew!  Make sense?  I'd be more specific but since I dont have 500 schematics I can't tell you the number of the chip to do it to.  I has worked f

or me for over 5 months now so no problem!  Good luck!!!

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (02/02/91)

elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:

>Hi.  I currently have a rather tired old A500, with an almost new (Commodore)
>second drive.  The internal drive appears to be getting a little bit fussy
>about which protected disks it will boot, and I was just wondering if it is
>possible (via some small hardware hack) to make the machine boot from df1:
>instead of df0:.  I've heard that the Pheonix motherboard for the A1000 has
>this capability via a switch.  Any suggestions anyone?

>Thanks, Elson
>--
>Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
>OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson
>Ph: 02 287 3142|       ALF         |Internet: elson%otc.otca.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
>Fax:02 287 3299|                   |Snail:  GPO Box 7000, Sydney 2001, Australia

Instead of hardware hacking, you should take your machine to your local
dealer/service center and have your internal drive realigned. It shouldn't
cost more than 1/2 hour of service...
	Tabor Wells
	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

|------------------------------------| "Life. You're born. You live. You  |
|	Tabor Wells		     |   go on some diets. You die.       |
|	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu	     |	        			  |
|------------------------------------|		-Bloom County		  |			  |

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (02/04/91)

I understood that the designation of which drive is df1 and which is
df0 or 2 or 3 is in the cable.  Couldn't the cable be changed to select
a different drive by swapping one of the wires around somehow?  I don't
have a schematic or I'd look and be able to say for sure.

Can we have a Guru comment?

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

dsherif@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu (Darin D Sheriff) (02/05/91)

(stuff deleted)
>possible (via some small hardware hack) to make the machine boot from df1:
>instead of df0:.  I've heard that the Pheonix motherboard for the A1000 has
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                       Eh?  What?!  Did I blink and miss
something?  What is the Pheonix motherboard, and what will it do for my
A1000?  Do enlighten me someone.

>Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
>OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson
>Ph: 02 287 3142|       ALF         |Internet: elson%otc.otca.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
>Fax:02 287 3299|                   |Snail:  GPO Box 7000, Sydney 2001, Australia

--
Darin Sheriff.  One of the few, the proud, an Amiga 1000 owner.
A computer:  A machine that enables one to make twice as many mistakes

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (02/05/91)

In article <38847@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>I understood that the designation of which drive is df1 and which is
>df0 or 2 or 3 is in the cable.  Couldn't the cable be changed to select
>a different drive by swapping one of the wires around somehow?  I don't
>have a schematic or I'd look and be able to say for sure.

Actually it depends on the machine you have I believe.  I have a 2000 and there
is a chip (U301) which does the selecting of all the floppy drives.  I did not
want to put a drive in my second bay because I put a 3.5" hard drive there
instead.  But some software wants to see DF0: and DF1: only.  So I pulled U301
and bent pins 14 & 15 up and then replaced the chip back into the socket.
Pin 14 is the select line for DF1: and pin 15 is select DF2:.  I then ran a
wire from pin 14 on the chip to pin 15 on the socket.  Pluged in my external
floppy drive into the external port and LOW AND BEHOLD it was DF1:!

I have run this way for about six months without a problem.  This way I
didn't have to modify the drive since I have a Bridgeboard and sometimes need
to plug the drive into that board.... Gee, I hope this help answer the question... Sorry for getting so long.  Later!!!

s1013734@usage.csd.oz (Peter Urbanec,5SK,6621322,6621322) (02/15/91)

From article <2238@otc.otca.oz>, by elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick):

> Is it
> possible (via some small hardware hack) to make the machine boot from df1:
> instead of df0:.  I've heard that the Pheonix motherboard for the A1000 has
> this capability via a switch.  Any suggestions anyone?

Yes it is.
all that has to be done is crossing two wires coming out of the CIA's .They are
SEL0 and SEL1. All you have to do is connect the SEL0 where SEL1 used to go and
SEL1 where SEL0 should be. You can also wire in a switch like I did and switch
between the drives. The switch can be asily mounted at the extreme right of your
A500 just behind the disk drive. For the correct number of pins for the SELx
lines see your A500 manual. (`Introduction to the Amiga 500') There are schematics
at the back of the manual.

	|   Peter Urbanec    s1013734@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au   |
	|   University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia   |
        |         The only sin is stupidity                    |
	|                                   - Unknown.         |