[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2091 added RAM woes

mdg1@engr.uark.edu (Michael D. Glover) (02/12/91)

I have a 2000HD and I just added some memory to the sockets on my 2091 HD
controller (actually, I have had it in for a little over a month).

The problem is that ever since I put the memory in, I have been experiencing
Guru's rather a little too often.  The gurus usually occur in memory at about
2300000 (give or take a zero).  I got the 256k X 4 DRAMS (100 ns) from a
company in CA...

I did put the chips in myself.... I called myself being careful not to
introduce any static discharge.  How sensitive are these kind of chips to
static charges?  Would it take very much to ruin them?  Also, I have switched
some of the chips around in an effort to find the bad chip(s) (I thought that
the gurus might occur somewhere else if I found it).

Also, if anyone has put any chips into a machine before, is there any trick
to doing it?  Any help would be appreciated.  Feel free to E-mail and I
will post a follow-up to the net if one is warranted....

Thanks to all in advance.....

--------------------------------////-------------------------------------------
 Michael D. Glover  |   University/of Arkansas   | "Build a machine any fool
                    |         ////at             |  can use and only fools
 mdg1@engr.uark.edu |   \\\  Fayetteville        |  will use it." --- Murphy
                    |    \\\////                 |

In article <mdg1.666310284@engr> mdg1@engr.uark.edu (Michael D. Glover) writes:
>The problem is that ever since I put the memory in, I have been experiencing
>Guru's rather a little too often.  The gurus usually occur in memory at about
>2300000 (give or take a zero).  I got the 256k X 4 DRAMS (100 ns) from a
>company in CA...

	The address means little (it's merely the address of the task structure
of the currently executing task when the exception occured).  You should
run the ramtest program which I think comes on the installation disk.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)