[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] An expansion question..

seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) (02/10/91)

I realize that this is probably an extremely stupid question in ways that I
can't even comprehend right now, but here goes anyway.

What exactly are the differences between the Zorro II bus on the Amiga 2000
and the expansion connector on the 500?  Besides obvious physical differences,
what additional signals are provided in the 2000?  I have very little access
to technical dox on either machine, not to mention very little money with
which to purchase any, so net.replies are most welcome...

Thanks, folks...

jeff
Jeff Rizzo               INTERNET: seamus@bucsf.bu.edu OR phyq8jc@BUACCA.BITNET
Boston University                                                   BIX: jrizzo
CLA '91                       ping!                               (617)566-0693

In article <SEAMUS.91Feb9232804@bucsf.bu.edu> seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) writes:
>What exactly are the differences between the Zorro II bus on the Amiga 2000
>and the expansion connector on the 500?

Well, first off, the Zorro II bus, while based on same signals available at
the edge of an A500 or A2000, is designed to handle multiple devices.  For
this to work properly, there is full support for the Autoconfig "chain" from
one card to the next, support for arbitrated BR* and BG* for each slot (the
BR*/BG* at the A500 connector is tied directly to the 68000), support for
collision detection between multiple Zorro II cards (so a trojan horse program
can't come along, configure all your boards to the same address, and then read
from them all, causing destructive buffer fights), etc.  And of course, the
bus is buffered as well, so that multiple cards can run on it without dragging
down each other or the main CPU.

On top of that, there are additional useful lines.  Zorro II has +5V, -5V,
+12V, and -12V supplies available.  It has the 7MHz clock in addition to C1*,
C3*, and CDAC available at the A500 edge.  It has the DOE signal which can be
used to determine when buffers get turned on during a read cycle.  It has a
GBG*, a "global bus grant" signal, which a DMA card can monitor to determine
if other cards are waiting for the bus.  And it has additional grounding, to
help keep noise down on the bus.  There are a few other differences, but these
are the main ones.

>I have very little access to technical dox on either machine,

The "A500/A2000 Technical Reference Manual", which describes the expansion bus,
is available from Commodore.  I don't have the price offhand, but the info is
posted on the net every so often.  That book, and a 68000 manual, is enough to
design a Zorro II or A500 expansion device.  If you're just curious, you can
probably get any questions answered here.

>jeff

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (02/16/91)

In article <18961@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

> The "A500/A2000 Technical Reference Manual"...is available from Commodore.
> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"

Do you have to be registered as a Certified Developer to obtain this
Reference?

--Allen

--