[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP AT drive problem

qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Quentin Barnes) (02/17/91)

I own a GVP 68030 card with a built-on AT controller.  The 40MB
AT drive I have has been acting up.  If I touch specific files
on the disk, I can hear the head constantly seeking until I've forced
it to go to another part of the disk.  'info' reports no errors
and I receive no error requestor from the OS.

1) What bad block replacement strategy does AT drives use (if any)?
2) Where can I find further technical information on these controllers?
3) Anyone have this problem (or a possible solution)?

Quentin Barnes
qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com
..!uiucuxc!udc!qbarnes

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb17.063151.8783@urbana.mcd.mot.com>
qbarnes@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Quentin Barnes) writes:

> If I touch specific files on the disk, I can hear the head
> constantly seeking until I've forced it to go to another
> part of the disk.

I experienced the same "problem" with a Quantum 40AT some
time ago. It is certainly irritating, but it never caused
any harm on my system. Maybe you should try a later version
of your drive's firmware.