[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Fastfile system? Why use on RAD: and 5.25?

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/01/91)

Well i just got a 5.25 drive (Now to find some disks..)

and in the 1.3 docs it keeps mentioning that ya can mount it to use
the FASTFILESYSTEM, But never mentions WHY you'd want to do this..

I've also seen articials where they mount rad: using the FFS, but again
they never say WHY ffs for RAD or a 5.25 is "better" then the normal
filesyste,

WHY IS FFS Better for RAD: and a 5.25? I know it speeds up
HARD drives a LOT. but does it do this for RAD:/5.25's

ps: If i want a 5.25 sized rad, i just make it's hicyl and locyl like
the 5.25 mountlist entry right???

thanx.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still

d_haverkamp@rk7 (David Haverkamp) (02/07/91)

  Has anyone setup their Amiga to read either FFS or OFS disks from the floppy
drives?   I am thinking about doing this but have not tried anything yet.
(Better yet has anyone tried to do MSH, FFS, and OFS from floppies... That way
you could read whatever disk was in the drive.  Also you don't have to worry
about labeling the disks with the format.)

David A. Haverkamp                    Collins Commercial Avionics Division
                                      Rockwell International   MS 124-211
INTERNET: dah@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com   Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52498

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/07/91)

>  Has anyone setup their Amiga to read either FFS or OFS disks from the floppy
>drives?   I am thinking about doing this but have not tried anything yet.
>(Better yet has anyone tried to do MSH, FFS, and OFS from floppies... That way
>you could read whatever disk was in the drive.  Also you don't have to worry
>about labeling the disks with the format.)

I saw a Program to do that when 1.3 came out... But lost it...
mounted the floppies as ff1: and ff2:

I'd like to have it again if i can find it....
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York says:
 IF ya meat an Amiga Owner that says: "I got my amiga Just to play games...:

seamus@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Rizzo) (02/07/91)

In article <yorkw.665872344@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

   >  Has anyone setup their Amiga to read either FFS or OFS disks from the floppy
   >drives?   I am thinking about doing this but have not tried anything yet.
   >(Better yet has anyone tried to do MSH, FFS, and OFS from floppies... That way
   >you could read whatever disk was in the drive.  Also you don't have to worry
   >about labeling the disks with the format.)

   I saw a Program to do that when 1.3 came out... But lost it...
   mounted the floppies as ff1: and ff2:

   I'd like to have it again if i can find it....
   .

I've got a textfile which describes the procedure, and the 'autodiskchange'
program which is required to let AmigaDOS know about disk changes (as FFS
doesn't support removable media in 1.3) and I can mail them to anyone who asks.

-jeff
Jeff Rizzo               INTERNET: seamus@bucsf.bu.edu OR phyq8jc@BUACCA.BITNET
Boston University                                                   BIX: jrizzo
CLA '91                       ping!                               (617)566-0693

dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (02/08/91)

In article <yorkw.665872344@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>>  Has anyone setup their Amiga to read either FFS or OFS disks from the floppy
>>drives?   I am thinking about doing this but have not tried anything yet.
>>(Better yet has anyone tried to do MSH, FFS, and OFS from floppies... That way
>>you could read whatever disk was in the drive.  Also you don't have to worry
>>about labeling the disks with the format.)
>
>I saw a Program to do that when 1.3 came out... But lost it...
>mounted the floppies as ff1: and ff2:
>
>I'd like to have it again if i can find it....
>.

  A couple of days ago I made an FFS with RAD: (880k). It seems like it may
have sped it up a little bit, but I made no performance testing. Second, I am
not sure if it really is FFS. I had a few errors, and sometimes when it boots
it says "df0: not a dos disk", which it is.
  Is there a way to boot from RAD: without a disk in the drive?

birjt@cc.newcastle.edu.au (02/12/91)

In article <1991Feb7.225902.23537@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, dtiberio@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>   A couple of days ago I made an FFS with RAD: (880k). It seems like it may
> have sped it up a little bit, but I made no performance testing. Second, I am

I  tried this the other day also after reading this post. On an A3000, I
formated a RAD: disk with FFS. When I did a DiskSpeed on RAD: it came up
with a read speed of almost 7meg/sec with 256k buffers (from memory). I had
to look 2 or 3 times to make sure I wasn't seeing things.
       Anyway, this isn't exactlly hardware so I will leave,
                           Have fun,
                                          Russell

srs@niksula.hut.fi (Sami Riku Wilhelm Suokas) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb6.190059.5507@zoot.avgrp.cr.rok.com> d_haverkamp@rk7 (David Haverkamp) writes:
 Has anyone setup their Amiga to read either FFS or OFS disks from the floppy
 drives?   I am thinking about doing this but have not tried anything yet.

I downloaded a program called ffsfloppy from tolsun.oulu.fi, which
described how to mount FFS for disk drives that support OFS.  It works
fine and I've had no problems with it.  You can put 38.5K more data on
a FFS disk, but the speed increase isn't that great - except in
directory scan.  It includes all the necessary files to run the FFS,
including autodiskchange.

 (Better yet has anyone tried to do MSH, FFS, and OFS from floppies... That way
 you could read whatever disk was in the drive.  Also you don't have to worry
 about labeling the disks with the format.)

I also have MSH installed in my system (A500, A590 w/ 2M, A501, 1
exterman floppy disk drive) and it also works just fine.  When you
have all of them installed, you don't have to worry about in which
format the disk is in.

You can get the ffsfloppy program by logging in with:

    rlogin tolsun.oulu.fi -8 -l box

and entering a new account, then go to the filesystem area and
download ffsfloppy directly to your home.

--
Sami R. W. Suokas, Dept. of Computer Science @ Helsinki Univ. of Technology
Keihastie 16 B          -srs@niksula.hut.fi   | Don't you think it's funny that