[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Do I have a 6.0 or 6.2 rev. A2000 MOTHERBOARD?

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/15/91)

     On opening up my A2000 case to clean out my drives, I noticed that
my motherboard said it was BOTH a 6.0 and 6.2 motherboard.  Let me explain:
     I purchased my system used a few months ago w/ the impression I was
 purchasing a 6.2 system.  When I opened the case, the motherboard said
6.0, but next to it, a sticker that says 6.2 on it.
     My question is, is this how all 6.2 motherboards are identified or
am I unique (hustled by the seller)?

     An Amiga guru told me by email that I probably have a 6.2, because it
takes time for the manufacturing process to switch over to start etching
6.2.  My question is though, that if they take the time to revise the
motherboard, wouldn't they take the time to make the simple change so that
the motherboards stamp out 6.2 instead of 6.0 at the same time?

     If anybody can help answer my dilemma, I'd appreciate it!
Thanks ahead of time
                                           Jason
                                        jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

johnhlee@fulla.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.034104.3001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) writes:

>     On opening up my A2000 case to clean out my drives, I noticed that
>my motherboard said it was BOTH a 6.0 and 6.2 motherboard.  Let me explain:
>     I purchased my system used a few months ago w/ the impression I was
> purchasing a 6.2 system.  When I opened the case, the motherboard said
>6.0, but next to it, a sticker that says 6.2 on it.
>     My question is, is this how all 6.2 motherboards are identified or
>am I unique (hustled by the seller)?
[...]

I wouldn't worry about it.  My A2000 motherboard is etched 4.1 (I think) but
has a sticker marked "Rev. 4.2".  It's possible that differences in board
revisions don't involve different PCB's, only different chip populations
and/or "engineering changes" (wire jumpers, an extra resistor or capacitor
here or there, etc.)

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

In article <1991Feb15.034104.3001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) writes:

>     I purchased my system used a few months ago w/ the impression I was
> purchasing a 6.2 system.  When I opened the case, the motherboard said
>6.0, but next to it, a sticker that says 6.2 on it.
>     My question is, is this how all 6.2 motherboards are identified or
>am I unique (hustled by the seller)?

The number etched onto the motherboard is the revision level at the time the
PCB is manufactured.  Any number of things in production may change at some
point, warranting a different revision level to keep track of the board
differences.  This can be as simple as a change in the value of a single
resistor, or something more complex.  Until a PCB change is made, if it ever
is (in the case of the resistor value change, it never will be), a sticker is
added to indicate the revision level of the board's circuitry.

>My question is though, that if they take the time to revise the
>motherboard, wouldn't they take the time to make the simple change so that
>the motherboards stamp out 6.2 instead of 6.0 at the same time?

If the artwork actually requires a change, the number etched in that little
identification box would get changed as well.  But most production changes
are not complicated enough to require a new circuit board.  If they are changes
added by hand, a new PCB will eventually be made as production requires.

>     If anybody can help answer my dilemma, I'd appreciate it!

Unless you're actually having trouble with your system, my guess is you're
worrying about nothing.

>                                           Jason

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett