[net.space] Shuttle abort procedures question

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:KENNER@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA (07/31/85)

From: (Richard Kenner) <KENNER@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>

I have a question about the programming of the Shuttle abort procedures.
While listening to yesterday's ATO, I heard a "1 engine TAL" call a while
after the ATO started.  I assume that this meant that had a second engine
failed before that point, the Shuttle would be in what is politely called
a "contingency abort" situation where crew servival is problematical.

My question is this:  In this case, the engine was shut down due to a
perceived (the last I heard they didn't know whether it was real or not)
increase in temperature of the high-pressume fuel pump in Engine #1 past
the red-line point.  However, suppose a second engine developed the same
condition prior to the "one engine TAL" call.  Shutting down this second engine
would now be questionable.  Shutting it down would almost certainly result
in crew loss while leaving it running would merely incur a probability of
crew loss.  The proper thing to do in this circumstance would probably be
to leave the engine running until 1-engine TAL capability was reached.
However, it is my understanding that the precise determination of
abort capability is not done on-board but is done in MCC.

Does anyone know how this case is handled?  How about if two engines
simultaneously had red-line problems (suppose they were in different
areas) in a state where there was a 2-engine survivable abort but no
1-engine survivable abort?  Does the software assess which perceived
red-line is more dangerous and shut down the appropriate engine?  Or
are both engines lost (and hence the crew)?

-------

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (08/02/85)

The shuttle, believe it or not, is designed to float for a while
in water.  So a water landing, assuming its controlled, does not
necessarily mean doom for the crew.  An engine blowing up, though,
almost certainly does (if you've ever seen the films of the explosions
encountered when the ME's were in testing phase, you know what
I mean).  Also, the shuttle can land on any runway that is at
least 10,000 feet long.  This means almost every major airport
in the world.  Of course, it's not the most desireable situation,
but again, it beats and explosion.  In short, in any circumstance
I can think of, I would think NASA would want to make an emergency
landing somewhere rather than risk a blowup.

rjnoe@riccb.UUCP (Roger J. Noe ) (08/02/85)

> From: (Richard Kenner) <KENNER@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>
>
> I have a question about the programming of the Shuttle abort procedures.
> While listening to yesterday's ATO, I heard a "1 engine TAL" call a while
> after the ATO started.

That's "one-engine TAO" for Transatlantic Abort.  Should they lose a second
engine before that call, they'd get very wet.  But I'd rather be in a shuttle
orbiter landing on the ocean surface than in an airliner.
--
Roger Noe