[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Tape Backup Unit

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (02/11/91)

In article <1484@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com>
boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:

> Unfortunately, the GVP backup software does not recognize
> the tape units existence.

Did you change the device driver name defined in TapeStore's
TOOLTYPE array?

> Aren't there some SCSI standards which all controllers and
> attached devices should adhere to, thereby allowing this
> unit to work with my current controller setup?

This standard is called HD_SCSICMD.

> One other question, if I do need to replace the
> controller, will I need to reformat my entire harddrive?

If Xetec adheres to the RDB standard: probably no.

boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) (02/11/91)

I own a Xetec Fastrack hard drive controller board. I recently
purchased a GVP 105Mb streamer tape backup unit. The tape unit
has been set up to plug into the SCSI extension port on my
Xetec controller. Unfortunately, the GVP backup software does
not recognize the tape units existence. Now I am told (contrary
to the purchase statements) that the GVP tape unit will not
work with the Xetec controller, and that I should replace my
controller with a GVP unit. I guess I am confused. Shouldn't
this tape unit just be treated as another SCSI device? Aren't
there some SCSI standards which all controllers and attached
devices should adhere to, thereby allowing this unit to work
with my current controller setup?

One other question, if I do need to replace the controller,
will I need to reformat my entire harddrive? Thanks.

Mike.Wilkins@p3.f55.n282.z1.mmug.edgar.mn.org (Mike Wilkins) (02/12/91)

KB> I own a Xetec Fastrack hard drive controller board. I recently
KB> purchased a GVP 105Mb streamer tape backup unit... ...Unfortunately,
KB> the GVP backup software does not recognize the tape units existence.

Are your terminators ok?  Your HD should be on the end and have the
terminators with the Tape unit in the middle.  Also, in the Xetec
Partitions program, the Tape unit should be in the lower left box.
This is how my Xetec HD & Xetex Tape unit is setup.

Unfortunatly, some tape backup units do not have a device driver. They
are controlled by the Tape units support software. This means that they
cannot be used with someone elses tape backup software.

I'd suggest calling Xetec. They would have the answers. It's possible that
you could use the Xetex software if all else fails.

--
Mike Wilkins - via The Minnesota Macintosh Users Group UUCP-Fido Gateway
UUCP: ...uunet!tcnet!kksys!edgar!mmug!55.3!Mike.Wilkins

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (02/14/91)

In article <1484@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com>, boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:
> I own a Xetec Fastrack hard drive controller board. I recently
> purchased a GVP 105Mb streamer tape backup unit. The tape unit
> has been set up to plug into the SCSI extension port on my
> Xetec controller. Unfortunately, the GVP backup software does
> not recognize the tape units existence. Now I am told (contrary
> to the purchase statements) that the GVP tape unit will not
> work with the Xetec controller, and that I should replace my
> controller with a GVP unit. I guess I am confused. Shouldn't
> this tape unit just be treated as another SCSI device? Aren't
> there some SCSI standards which all controllers and attached
> devices should adhere to, thereby allowing this unit to work
> with my current controller setup?
>
> One other question, if I do need to replace the controller,
> will I need to reformat my entire harddrive? Thanks.

 The SCSI standard just determines how the controller card communicates with
the hard drive/tape streamer. It does not have to be the same from the SCSI
controller to the computer. Each SCSI controller has ROMs that map themselves
into memory. The software that comes with the controller knows how to find
those ROMs and which routines are where (relative to the start of the ROM).

 Since the GVP software will not work with your Xetec controller you will
either have to get software from Xetec that does the same thing as the GVP
software would do or you are going to have to get a GVP controller to go
with the software. If you switch to a GVP controller you will have to backup
and reformat you SCSI hardware.

 I have not looked at the RKM (ROM Kernal Manuals) for Libs & Devs recently
but I do remember there are some SCSI routines listed. My guess would be that
the routines provided by Commodore were deemed unsatisfactory (to slow or
something) so the other companies formed their own method of using SCSI devices.

 Darrell

In article <1991Feb14.142917.9746@comspec.uucp> darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) writes:
>In article <1484@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com>, boi@richsun.cpg.trs.reuter.com (Ken Boi) writes:
>> I own a Xetec Fastrack hard drive controller board. I recently
>> purchased a GVP 105Mb streamer tape backup unit. The tape unit
>> has been set up to plug into the SCSI extension port on my
>> Xetec controller. Unfortunately, the GVP backup software does
>> not recognize the tape units existence. Now I am told (contrary
>> to the purchase statements) that the GVP tape unit will not
>> work with the Xetec controller, and that I should replace my
>> controller with a GVP unit. I guess I am confused. Shouldn't

> I have not looked at the RKM (ROM Kernal Manuals) for Libs & Devs recently
>but I do remember there are some SCSI routines listed. My guess would be that
>the routines provided by Commodore were deemed unsatisfactory (to slow or
>something) so the other companies formed their own method of using SCSI devices.

	There is a standard jointly developed by Commodore and the 3rd-
party hardware developers call "scsidirect".  All controllers adhering to
the scsidirect spec support a standard command allowing applications (like
tape backup software) to access the scsi bus.  (There is a separate spec
called "Rigid Disk Blocks" which defined how partitions, etc are to be
recognized.)

	Most developers support scsidirect (or will).  I know that newer
GVP controllers do, Microbotics Hardframe does, etc.  If Xetec supports
scsidirect you can use any tape drive so long as your backup software
uses scsidirect.  I assume the GVP software does.  You will have to tell
the GVP software what the name of the driver is, though (check the manual
or check with GVP).  It's possible it doesn't use scsidirect (I hope not),
or that the driver name is hardcoded (once again I hope not).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)